Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Start of wildfire season better than last year, but risk is high as drought continues

Start of wildfire season better than last year, but risk is high as drought continues
The start to wildfire season has been far less dramatic than it was last year but the risk of hot, dry weather and severe fires remains high, officials warned Thursday.

Start of wildfire season better than last year, but risk is high as drought continues

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026
Most British Columbia drivers will get a vehicle insurance rebate of $110 this year and basic renewal rates will remain frozen until at least March 2026.

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote
Saskatchewan's education minister is being accused of trying to influence a teachers vote after saying he's not ruling out extending the school year should educators reject his offer and take job action. 

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin
The Alberta Utilities Commission is fining another electricity generator that powered bitcoin mining for operating without a licence. 

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video
One of the Indian nationals accused of murdering British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar says in a social media video that he received a Canadian study permit with the help of an Indian immigration consultancy. In the Facebook video posted in December 2019 by EthicWorks Immigration Services and first reported by Global News, Karan Brar says his "study visa has arrived," while a photo shows him holding up what appears to be a passport with a Canadian study permit inside.

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026
Most British Columbia drivers will get a vehicle insurance rebate of $110 this year and basic renewal rates will remain frozen until at least March 2026. The Crown-owned Insurance Corporation of B.C. is in good financial shape and in a position to offer rebates totalling $400 million, Premier David Eby said Wednesday at a news conference that began to the strain's of AC/DC's "Back In Black," a reference to the corporation's financial position.

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026