Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay
A spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says 18 Canadians were brought out of Haiti by helicopter this morning. On Monday, Joly had said the 18 had already left, but Global Affairs Canada has clarified that their departure was put off due to bad weather.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses
Canadian authorities are trying to reassure the public about the safety of bridges in the country following the collapse of a bridge in Baltimore, Md., early this morning after it was rammed by a container ship.

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April
TransLink says the King George SkyTrain Station will be closed for approximately six weeks starting next month. A statement says the closure starting April 27th will allow essential maintenance work to happen and the Expo Line in Surrey will temporarily end at Surrey Central Station.

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April

Child dies in fall through ice

Child dies in fall through ice
Mounties in Williams Lake, B.C., say a child has died in a plunge through the ice on Tyee Lake, in the province's Cariboo region. Police say it happened Saturday when the utility task vehicle the child was riding on went through the ice.

Child dies in fall through ice

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects
The British Columbia government is handing out $24 million to more communities that want to improve their walking and cycling infrastructure. The Active Transportation Infrastructure Grants program is part of a cost-sharing agreement with Indigenous, local and regional governments that provides up to $500,000 for infrastructure projects, and up to $50,000 to develop the active network plans. 

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly
Canada welcomes the United Nations Security Council's call for a ceasefire in the war between Israel and Hamas during Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly said Monday.  Canada has been asking for a sustainable ceasefire since December, she said at a press conference in Ottawa.

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly