Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Safety board says broken wheel caused 61-car CN Rail derailment in B.C.

Safety board says broken wheel caused 61-car CN Rail derailment in B.C.
The Transportation Safety Board says a broken wheel set off a train derailment in B.C.'s Fraser Canyon, spilling six million kilograms of potash.  In September 2020, 61 cars on a Canadian National Railway freight train left the tracks just south of Hope, B.C.

Safety board says broken wheel caused 61-car CN Rail derailment in B.C.

Ottawa will shut down shady post-secondary institutions if provinces don't: Miller

Ottawa will shut down shady post-secondary institutions if provinces don't: Miller
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Ottawa is ready to step in and shut down shady schools that are abusing the international student program if provinces don't crack down on them. Miller says there are problems across the college sector, but some of the worst offenders are private institutions — and those schools need to go. 

Ottawa will shut down shady post-secondary institutions if provinces don't: Miller

Snowfall warning for parts of Lower Mainland could mean sloppy Vancouver commute

Snowfall warning for parts of Lower Mainland could mean sloppy Vancouver commute
Environment Canada has issued a snowfall warning for parts of B.C.'s Lower Mainland, with a wintry mix heralding a sloppy evening commute for Metro Vancouver. The warning also covers the Fraser Valley and the Sea to Sky Highway, with up to 25 centimetres expected in Whistler.  

Snowfall warning for parts of Lower Mainland could mean sloppy Vancouver commute

Some bundled wireless plans not as cheap as before Rogers-Shaw merger: watchdog

Some bundled wireless plans not as cheap as before Rogers-Shaw merger: watchdog
Certain cellphone plans in Western Canada are not as cheap as they were prior to the Rogers-Shaw merger, Canada's competition watchdog says. Jeanne Pratt, the Competition Bureau's senior deputy commissioner of mergers and monopolistic practices, told MPs on Monday that before Shaw was purchased by Rogers Communications last April, the company was "a particularly growing and disruptive competitive force" in B.C. and Alberta.

Some bundled wireless plans not as cheap as before Rogers-Shaw merger: watchdog

Online harms: Liberals seek to create digital safety commission, new ombudsperson

Online harms: Liberals seek to create digital safety commission, new ombudsperson
The Liberal government plans to create a new digital safety regulator to compel social-media platforms to take action against online harms and remove damaging content — including child sex-abuse material and intimate images shared without consent — under penalty of millions of dollars in fines.  Justice Minister Arif Virani tabled the long-awaited Online Harms Act on Monday, along with a suite of other amendments to the Criminal Code and the Canadian Human Rights Act.   

Online harms: Liberals seek to create digital safety commission, new ombudsperson

Real estate association economist doubts B.C.'s flipping tax is worth the trouble

Real estate association economist doubts B.C.'s flipping tax is worth the trouble
Policy watchers are split on the value of British Columbia's upcoming provincial flipping tax targeting those looking to make a quick buck in the real estate market. Brendon Ogmundson, chief economist of the British Columbia Real Estate Association, says the tax could end up reducing the overall number of homes on the market while only applying to a small number of properties.

Real estate association economist doubts B.C.'s flipping tax is worth the trouble