Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians
Gagan Ajit Singh, Anmoldeep Singh, Hashmeet Kaur, Iymanjot Kaur, and Arundeep Thind  have been charged with  mischief to property, threats, and firearms-related offences.  

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash
Two trucking firms say the B.C. government wrongly concluded they were "one operation" after an overpass crash last December, and want a court to let them both back on the province's road.  B.C.-based Chohan Freight Forwarders Ltd. and Alberta-based Chohan Group Ltd. say in B.C. Supreme Court petitions that they're separate legal entities but have a family connection. 

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall
A 23-year-old Indo-Canadian has been sentenced to more than two years in prison for carrying a loaded "ghost gun" at a mall in the country's British Columbia province. Arunjit Singh Virk, who was arrested in March 2021, was also prohibited from possessing any firearm, restricted weapon, or ammunition for 10 years, Ontario-based CTV News reported on Tuesday.

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre confirmed Wednesday that he's opposed to allowing the use of puberty blockers on children. Poilievre made the comment during a barrage of media questions about his views on gender-affirming medical treatments for transgender youth.   

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples
Police have laid drug-trafficking charges after a man allegedly handed out business cards with free samples of cocaine in Calgary. Officers patrolling a downtown casino became aware of the cards on Christmas Eve after they were given out to patrons.

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza
Canada's immigration minister is "pissed off" that a list of people related to Canadians are being blocked from leaving the embattled Gaza Strip, he said Wednesday.  Ottawa started accepting applications last month to reunite as many as 1,000 people in the Palestinian territory with extended family members in Canada.

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza