Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups
British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson is stepping down over her remarks that modern Israel was founded on "a crappy piece of land," after her repeated apologies failed to quell the outcry from pro-Palestinian groups and others. Premier David Eby said Robinson's "belittling" remarks were incompatible with her remaining in cabinet, although she will stay in the NDP caucus.

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital
On Friday, just after 1:30pm, Surrey RCMP received a report of shots fired in the 8400 block of 120 Street.  Frontline officers attended the scene and located a man who appeared to be suffering from gunshot wounds. The victim was transported to hospital with serious injuries.

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer
Researchers say a deadly disease starts out slow but has the potential to devastate British Columbia's deer population over time, after the discovery of the first cases in the province. The concerns come after the B.C. government confirmed two cases of chronic wasting disease found in animals south of Cranbrook in the Kootenay region.

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict
The father of a murdered 13-year-old girl did not bring a gun into a Vancouver courtroom eight weeks ago, on the day Ibrahim Ali was convicted of the killing, the man's lawyer has told a B.C. Supreme Court judge. Brock Martland, who represents the father, said it's an "unfounded proposition" that Ali's lawyers have repeated several times, aiming to exclude the man from post-trial proceedings on safety grounds.

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire
A coroner's inquest jury looking into the Winters Hotel fire that killed two people in Vancouver two years ago was stood down Friday to deliberate potential recommendations to avoid similar deaths. For two weeks the inquest heard evidence about the fire that killed residents Mary Ann Garlow and Dennis Guay, including testimony that the sprinkler system wasn't operating because of a smaller fire three days earlier.

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups
British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson has apologized for saying Israel was founded on a "crappy piece of land," remarks that have angered pro-Palestinian groups and others and triggered calls for her resignation. Robinson said in a social media post on Thursday that her comments were "disrespectful," and she was referring to the land having limited natural resources.  

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups