Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing
Metro Vancouver Transit Police say charges have been approved after a stabbing that left a teenager with serious wounds requiring emergency surgery. Police say it happened last July when the teenager and his girlfriend had a brief altercation with two males at the Guildford Mall in Surrey before they got on a bus.   

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says
British Columbia's chief coroner says 2,511 people died of suspected illicit drug poisoning last year, the highest annual toll ever recorded. Close to 14,000 people have died since the province declared a public health emergency in April 2016, Lisa Lapointe told a news conference on Wednesday.

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says

Union warns of 72-hour Metro Vancouver bus strike if deal isn't reached

Union warns of 72-hour Metro Vancouver bus strike if deal isn't reached
The union representing transit supervisors for Coast Mountain Bus Company says it will launch a new 72-hour strike stopping Metro Vancouver buses from operating if a tentative deal isn't reached by next week.  

Union warns of 72-hour Metro Vancouver bus strike if deal isn't reached

Canadians worry about quality of health care, have little faith it will improve: poll

Canadians worry about quality of health care, have little faith it will improve: poll
The poll by Leger comes nearly a year after the federal government offered a $196-billion health accord to the provinces to increase health funding and address a growing shortage of health-care workers. Doctors, nurses and other health-care professionals have warned for years about a dangerous lack of health workers, leading to understaffed emergency rooms and a lack of primary care that is felt across the entire health system. 

Canadians worry about quality of health care, have little faith it will improve: poll

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says a second Trump presidency would be trouble for Canada

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says a second Trump presidency would be trouble for Canada
Former U.S. president Donald Trump is an "egomaniac" operating in his own world, argues federal New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, saying if he makes it back to the White House it could spell trouble for Canada. During the NDP's caucus retreat in Edmonton, Singh said Trump operates in his own league. He likened him to an egomaniac who is seeking vengeance on his political enemies.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says a second Trump presidency would be trouble for Canada

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital
Six people died in a plane crash near the town of Fort Smith, while a lone survivor was taken to hospital, the Northwest Territories coroner's office said Wednesday. Four passengers and two crew members from Northwestern Air Lease were killed on the Tuesday morning flight headed to the Diavik Diamond Mine, some 300 kilometres northeast of Yellowknife, the coroner's office said in a written statement.

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital