Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak
The mayor of Delta, B.C., is calling the lack of communication from FortisBC "an egregious oversight" after the utility didn't notify the public for more than four hours after a leak at a renewable gas plant. George Harvie says on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that it was unacceptable for Delta residents and businesses to be "left in the dark" after a leak at a plant in Ladner.

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.
All public schools in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley have been closed today, as heavy snow falls across a wide swath of southern British Columbia. Some universities and colleges in the Lower Mainland have also cancelled in-person classes, including the University of B.C., Simon Fraser University and the B.C. Institute of Technology.    

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.

Funding for mental health facility

Funding for mental health facility
The provincial government is providing 675-thousand-dollars toward a proposed centre in northern B-C that would provide mental-health and addictions services for children for children and youth. Premier David Eby says on a visit to Prince George that young people in northern B-C, especially Indigenous youth, should be able to get the care they need close to home.  

Funding for mental health facility

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school
Police say they are investigating after a woman was found dead in front of a Calgary elementary school this morning. Officers were called to the school in the southwestern community of Strathcona around 7:40 a.m. 

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers
Mounties say a 34-year-old man has been found guilty of four charges after a hit-and-run crash that injured two police dog service officers in 2019. Police say Jason Kirupakaran was convicted of two counts each of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to stop after an accident causing bodily harm. 

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured
Police say four people are dead and one person is in hospital after a head-on crash on Highway 97 southeast of Kamloops, B.C., on Tuesday.  Vernon North Okanagan RCMP spokesman Chris Terleski says the collision occurred near the Monte Lake RV park around 9 a.m.  Police say the drivers of the vehicles were found dead at the scene along with two others, and one person was airlifted to hospital.   

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured