Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked
27 year old Dilpreet Singh from Calgary been charged with assaulting a prominent Calgary radio host, who alleges he was targeted because of the station's news reporting. Police say they received a call on Sept. 29 about an assault near a banquet hall in the Horizon neighbourhood.

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.
A U.S. District Court judge in Montana has sentenced a 27-year-old man from Kelowna, B.C., to 18 months in prison for using fake names to buy guns with the aim of selling them in Canada. A statement from the United States Attorney's Office in Montana says Haptei John Kozak pleaded guilty earlier this year to four counts of making false statements during a firearms transaction. 

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl
A man from Vancouver Island is facing a criminal charge in connection to a fatal hit-and-run that killed a teenager earlier this year. The North Cowichan-Duncan RCMP says a 28-year-old man from the Cowichan Valley is accused of failing to stop at the scene of an accident causing death.

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia
Canadian border officers in British Columbia made 60 seizures of methamphetamine destined for export to Australia between March and August. The Canadian Border Services Agency says the seizures totalled nearly 400 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine and close to 1,300 litres of a liquid form of the drug.

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes
It took several dozen firefighters more than seven hours to put out a fire that spread to multiple homes in East Vancouver last night. Vancouver Fire Chief Karen Fry says the blaze in the Strathcona neighbourhood had quickly spread from one home to four others nearby.

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd
Police in Vancouver are asking for the public's help in identifying a suspect in a violent assault on a woman near Vancouver's Oakridge SkyTrain station. They say a woman in her 30s was walking near West 41st Avenue and Ontario Street at around 7:50 p-m Sunday when a man grabbed her from behind. 

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd