Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C.'s Joffre Lakes Park to have partial closure, allowing for conservation, tourism

B.C.'s Joffre Lakes Park to have partial closure, allowing for conservation, tourism
An agreement between the B.C. government and the First Nations that manage Joffre Lakes Provincial Park will see the popular tourist spot closed for part of the year to protect its "natural and cultural values."

B.C.'s Joffre Lakes Park to have partial closure, allowing for conservation, tourism

Man stabbed to death in White Rock, B.C., days after similar knife attack in area

Man stabbed to death in White Rock, B.C., days after similar knife attack in area
Police in White Rock, B.C., say two stabbings in the city within a few days and with apparent similarities are "alarming."

Man stabbed to death in White Rock, B.C., days after similar knife attack in area

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years
Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson is resigning her legislature seat and leaving political life.

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000
One of the most anticipated multicultural events of the Lower Mainland the Surrey Vaisakhi Parade was celebrated over the weekend. Canada’s largest Vaisakhi Parade outside of Punjab, India took place on Saturday, April 20th, in Surrey, and was attended by 550,000 people. 

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget
A new poll suggests the Liberals have not won over voters with their latest budget, though there is broad support for their plan to build millions of homes. Just shy of half the respondents to Leger's latest survey said they had a negative opinion of the federal budget, which was presented last Tuesday. 

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat
British Columbia has placed its proposed online harms legislation on hold after reaching an agreement with social media companies to "sit down in good faith" to find solutions on keeping people safer online.  Premier David Eby said the proposed legislation remains, and the province will reactivate it into law if necessary.

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat