Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Added protection for cyclists in BC

Added protection for cyclists in BC
BC's transportation ministry says it is implementing a new law that will give cyclists and pedestrians added protection on roads.  It says the changes, which come into effect on June 3rd, establish a new minimum distance of one metre that drivers must maintain when passing cyclists and other so-called vulnerable road users.

Added protection for cyclists in BC

Canadian missing in aftermath of Taiwan earthquake found safe

Canadian missing in aftermath of Taiwan earthquake found safe
Taiwan's Central News Agency says a Canadian missing after this week's powerful earthquake on the island's east coast has been found safe. The partially government-funded news agency, citing information from the Central Emergency Operation Center, says the Canadian man is now camped near a hotel in Taiwan's Taroko National Park.

Canadian missing in aftermath of Taiwan earthquake found safe

Trudeau announces $600 million in loans, funding to jump-start homebuilding, rentals

Trudeau announces $600 million in loans, funding to jump-start homebuilding, rentals
The federal Liberal government plans a $600-million package of loans and funding to help make it easier and cheaper to build homes for owners and renters. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is making the announcement in Calgary, just the latest in a string of pre-budget announcements aimed at winning over younger voters.

Trudeau announces $600 million in loans, funding to jump-start homebuilding, rentals

$7M settlement with B.C. First Nation: Feds

$7M settlement with B.C. First Nation: Feds
The federal government and a British Columbia First Nation have reached a $7-million settlement over a lumber grievance that dates back to 1942. Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Gary Anandasangaree and Chief Joe Pierre Jr. announced the settlement Thursday, where Canada will pay the cash to compensate the First Nation for its economic losses from the timber surrender.   

$7M settlement with B.C. First Nation: Feds

Freeze Cdn funding for UNRWA: Israel advocates

Freeze Cdn funding for UNRWA: Israel advocates
Israel advocates are asking the Federal Court to reverse Ottawa's decision to continue funding the main United Nations agency supporting Palestinians. The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs is joining Canadians whose relatives were killed in the Hamas attack last October in asking Ottawa to stop funding UNRWA.  

Freeze Cdn funding for UNRWA: Israel advocates

One Canadian missing after Taiwan earthquake, says Global Affairs

One Canadian missing after Taiwan earthquake, says Global Affairs
Global Affairs Canada and Taiwan's top diplomat in Ottawa say a Canadian is missing in Taiwan after the powerful earthquake that hit the island this week. Global Affairs spokesman Pierre Cuguen says consular officials are providing assistance to the family and are in contact with local authorities.

One Canadian missing after Taiwan earthquake, says Global Affairs