Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup
An advocacy group and others are making a final plea to the City of Vancouver to hold off on its second phase of a plan to clean up the site of a homeless camp in Crab Park. The group called Stop the Sweeps and residents of the encampment oppose the move, saying they're being offered small, fenced pens to live in while the city bulldozes their community, which includes a warming tent and kitchen.

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

Man found dead in Surrey

Man found dead in Surrey
B-C's police watchdog says it is investigating the death of a man in Surrey.  The Independent Investigations Office says police responded to a report of threats being made in a domestic dispute yesterday. 

Man found dead in Surrey

Cyclist injured in crash

Cyclist injured in crash
West Shore Mounties say a cyclist was seriously injured after a crash involving a vehicle in View Royal. Police say officers responded to the scene yesterday around 4:45 P-M and found the 55-year-old cyclist with life-threatening injuries.   

Cyclist injured in crash

Global Affairs says two more Canadians have died in Ukraine-Russia war

Global Affairs says two more Canadians have died in Ukraine-Russia war
Global Affairs Canada says two more Canadians have died in the war between Ukraine and Russia, bringing the total number of Canadians killed in that conflict to 11. An obituary for Alain Derasp says the veteran of the Canadian Forces Royal 22nd Regiment and father of four died in Ukraine on Feb. 27.

Global Affairs says two more Canadians have died in Ukraine-Russia war

Bell CEO summoned to committee over job cuts after not finding time to appear

Bell CEO summoned to committee over job cuts after not finding time to appear
Members of Parliament have summoned the head of Bell Canada to testify next month about the company's decision to cut thousands of jobs across the country.  CEO Mirko Bibic was originally invited to appear before the Canadian Heritage committee on Feb. 29 and then March 19, but MPs say he has so far been unable to attend. 

Bell CEO summoned to committee over job cuts after not finding time to appear

B.C. e-bike company shares evidence on social media after brazen container theft

B.C. e-bike company shares evidence on social media after brazen container theft
Police in Delta say they're investigating a theft of a shipping container that contained thousands of dollars worth of electric bicycles.  Delta Police say a pair of suspects showed up at a warehouse lot on Annacis Island March 19 around 1 a.m. in a semi-trailer, connecting the container to the truck and driving away "within minutes."   

B.C. e-bike company shares evidence on social media after brazen container theft