Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Hydro restoring power after wind storm leaves thousands in the dark

BC Hydro restoring power after wind storm leaves thousands in the dark
BC Hydro is restoring electricity to customers after strong wind gusts knocked out power to thousands of customers. Environment Canada issued wind warnings Saturday for parts of British Columbia and many are still in effect today.

BC Hydro restoring power after wind storm leaves thousands in the dark

12M cryptocurrency scam in Surrey

12M cryptocurrency scam in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they received nearly 230 reports of fraud involving cryptocurrency last year, resulting in losses totalling 12-million-dollars. R-C-M-P say police have already received 50 reports of similar cases in the first two months of this year, with losses reaching 3.2-million-dollars.

12M cryptocurrency scam in Surrey

Senior killed in hit and run

Senior killed in hit and run
Vancouver Police say they've arrested a suspect in a hit-and-run crash that killed a woman in her 80s on the city's east side. Police say the driver did not stop after hitting the woman, who was crossing at Nanaimo and East Hastings streets yesterday afternoon.

Senior killed in hit and run

Two adults, four children found dead in Ottawa-area home, police say

Two adults, four children found dead in Ottawa-area home, police say
Sri Lanka's high commission in Ottawa confirms the victims of a mass homicide in the suburb of Barrhaven were a family of Sri Lankan nationals. The city's police chief has said an attack by a "lone actor" left four children and two adults dead and a seventh person injured last night.

Two adults, four children found dead in Ottawa-area home, police say

Selina Robinson quits B.C. NDP, citing antisemitism in caucus

Selina Robinson quits B.C. NDP, citing antisemitism in caucus
Former British Columbia cabinet minister Selina Robinson has quit the NDP, citing antisemitism in the ruling party's caucus. Robinson, who is Jewish, says she can no longer remain in the party because it is not properly addressing antisemitism in the province or among her former colleagues.

Selina Robinson quits B.C. NDP, citing antisemitism in caucus

Robots and drones to work in Kelowna

Robots and drones to work in Kelowna
Drones and robots will be put to work in the orchards of Kelowna this spring as part of a pilot project to promote what the equipment maker calls "precision farming."  The city is collaborating with B.C. company InDro Robotics to use its aerial drones and ground-roving industrial robots to patrol 80 hectares of apple, pear, and cherry trees to monitor fruit health and growth. 

Robots and drones to work in Kelowna