Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Tobacco firm 'disappointed' in B.C. restriction on flavoured nicotine pouch sales

Tobacco firm 'disappointed' in B.C. restriction on flavoured nicotine pouch sales
A major Canadian tobacco company says it is "extremely disappointed" by British Columbia's decision to move the sale of flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters. Premier David Eby announced the restriction on Wednesday, saying the province issued the order to prevent children coming into contact with a "hazardous" and "addictive" product while Health Canada looks into the regulation of sales.

Tobacco firm 'disappointed' in B.C. restriction on flavoured nicotine pouch sales

Bell media is slashing 4800 jobs across the country

Bell media is slashing 4800 jobs across the country
A Bell executive is linking the major cuts parent company B-C-E announced this morning to federal government policies. Robert Malcolmson says the company needs immediate relief, which could come from a fund it has proposed that would see streamers subsidize local or national news.

Bell media is slashing 4800 jobs across the country

When the sun goes down, a swarm of rats emerges in downtown Vancouver

When the sun goes down, a swarm of rats emerges in downtown Vancouver
When the sun goes down, the rats of Vancouver's Burrard Skytrain Station emerge, in a scurrying blur of fur and whipping tails. Dozens of them, large and small, scamper around a park in front of the downtown station, running up and down the stairs among the legs of commuters and a wary reporter. Some appear to be feasting on birdseed scattered on the ground.

When the sun goes down, a swarm of rats emerges in downtown Vancouver

PM hints at tougher penalties for car thieves as feds seek ideas at national summit

PM hints at tougher penalties for car thieves as feds seek ideas at national summit
The Liberal government will consider tougher criminal penalties for people who steal vehicles, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday as he kicked off a daylong summit aimed at confronting the scourge of auto theft.

PM hints at tougher penalties for car thieves as feds seek ideas at national summit

Former RCMP intelligence official sentenced to 14 years for breaking secrets law

Former RCMP intelligence official sentenced to 14 years for breaking secrets law
A former RCMP intelligence official has been sentenced to 14 years in prison for breaching Canada's secrets law in what the judge called a case without precedent. Ontario Superior Court Justice Robert Maranger handed the sentence Wednesday to Cameron Jay Ortis, who was found guilty in November of violating the Security of Information Act.  

Former RCMP intelligence official sentenced to 14 years for breaking secrets law

Sex offender missing from halfway house

Sex offender missing from halfway house
Vancouver police say  a man considered a high risk and violent sex offender is missing after he failed to check in to his halfway house yesterday. They say 36-year-old Johnny Walkus is wanted Canada-wide.

Sex offender missing from halfway house