Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Cremated remains found at YVR

Cremated remains found at YVR
Police are asking for the public's help in reuniting cremated remains with the rightful guardian. Mounties in Richmond say someone left a package at the outbound international screening checkpoint at Vancouver International Airport on November 27th.

Cremated remains found at YVR

Man charged with multiple B & E's

Man charged with multiple B & E's
A man suspected of multiple break-and-enters last year and in 2022 has been charged with 27 counts in relation to the incidents. Burnaby Mounties say the 44-year-old is facing charges ranging from break-and-enter to possession of stolen property, including for the purpose of trafficking.

Man charged with multiple B & E's

3 year housing plan for Surrey

3 year housing plan for Surrey
The City of Surrey is launching a three-year plan to boost the number of new housing units to an average of more than four thousand per year. A statement from the City of Surrey says the plan is enabled by 96-million-dollars in federal funding.  

3 year housing plan for Surrey

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike
Coast Mountain Bus Company and the union representing its transit supervisors have both accepted the recommendations of a mediator in an agreement that looks set to avert another Metro Vancouver bus strike. A statement from the bus firm's president, Michael McDaniel, said the next step was to sign a memorandum of agreement before the contract ratification process.

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says
The federal government is lashing out at the U.S. Commerce Department over plans to raise duties on Canadian softwood lumber. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says the U.S. has signalled it intends to raise duties to 13.86 per cent, up from 8.05 per cent.  Ng calls the move disappointing and entirely unwarranted.

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'
The Sons of Freedom were a small faction within the Doukhobor community, an exiled Russian Christian group, and were once known for naked protests and periodically burning down their own homes as a rejection of materialism. In her formal apology Thursday, Attorney General Niki Sharma acknowledged the children were "mistreated both physically and psychologically." 

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'