Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Review in police misconduct

Review in police misconduct
B.C.'s police complaint commissioner has ordered a review of the discipline handed out to an officer over sexual misconduct claims, saying the punishment didn't fit the seriousness of the sexual allegations that were "predatory in nature." The matter was investigated by the Vancouver Police Department, which found the officer committed two instances of discreditable conduct.  

Review in police misconduct

Man dies in Surrey fire

Man dies in Surrey fire
A 54-year-old man is dead after a building fire in Surrey that also killed two pets. Surrey R-C-M-P say they got a report of a fire in the upper residential suites of a commercial building a little before 3:30 this morning.

Man dies in Surrey fire

Union and TransLink trade barbs as Metro Vancouver bus strike hits 300,000 commuters

Union and TransLink trade barbs as Metro Vancouver bus strike hits 300,000 commuters
Both sides blamed each other, with the CEO of regional transit authority TransLink saying the union's wage demands are unreasonable, while a union spokesman accused Coast Mountain of trying to bully them. The province's labour minister, meanwhile, considered appointing a special mediator with additional powers to help break the deadlock. 

Union and TransLink trade barbs as Metro Vancouver bus strike hits 300,000 commuters

Feds announce 36M for housing in BC

Feds announce 36M for housing in BC
The federal government has announced a 36-million-dollar funding plan to fast-track the construction of about one thousand housing units in Richmond. The funding will go toward the city's efforts to speed up development applications while also supporting zoning reforms and permitting optimization.  

Feds announce 36M for housing in BC

Help needed in hit and run

Help needed in hit and run
New Westminster police are asking for the public's help in finding the driver involved in a hit-and-run crash. Police say two vehicles crashed on Sunday around noon at the intersection of 6th Avenue and McBride Boulevard.  

Help needed in hit and run

Economics, affordability top agenda as Liberal cabinet meets in Montreal

Economics, affordability top agenda as Liberal cabinet meets in Montreal
One of the federal government's top priorities for the year ahead involves attracting new international grocers to Canada to expand competition and drive down prices, Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Sunday as a cabinet retreat was about to begin in Montreal. The entire federal cabinet is in the city for a three-day retreat ahead of the return of Parliament on Jan. 29 and the next federal budget expected later this winter.

Economics, affordability top agenda as Liberal cabinet meets in Montreal