Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Immigration department says 144 Gazans on track to come to Canada, pending biometrics

Immigration department says 144 Gazans on track to come to Canada, pending biometrics
Ottawa has processed visa applications for 144 people in the Gaza Strip, putting them on track to be reunited with extended family members in Canada — as long as they can make it across the border for biometric screening and final approval.  Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada opened a program to offer temporary visas to as many as 1,000 people in the besieged Palestinian territory, if their relatives can support them in Canada. 

Immigration department says 144 Gazans on track to come to Canada, pending biometrics

Federal dental care program will exclude 4.4M uninsured Canadians: report

Federal dental care program will exclude 4.4M uninsured Canadians: report
A new report by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives says millions of uninsured Canadians will be left out of the new federal dental program because their family income is too high. Enrolment began last month for a new federal benefits program, which was developed as a condition of a political pact between the Liberal government and the NDP.    

Federal dental care program will exclude 4.4M uninsured Canadians: report

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony
Members of Parliament on the Commons ethics committee agreed to invite interim commissioner Konrad von Finckenstein to testify at the earliest opportunity once the House comes back from a winter break at the end of the month. 

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
A man has been arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle after driving through a police traffic stop in Surrey. Surrey R-C-M-P say they responded on January 3rd to reports of a suspected impaired driver near the 13-thousand-900 block of Fraser Highway.    

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery
Vancouver police have arrested a man suspected of a violent robbery after he threatened to jump into False Creek. Police say officers were called to a business near West 3rd Avenue and Fir Street at around 10:30 yesterday morning for a suspect armed with bear spray and a samurai sword.    

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm
Vancouver International Airport is recommending travellers plan ahead and check their flight status as Environment Canada forecasts snow starting this morning. The airport authority says it anticipates fewer planes will arrive and depart from the airport due to the weather.    

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm