Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

NASA delays Artemis II moon mission that includes Canadian astronaut Jeremy Hansen

NASA delays Artemis II moon mission that includes Canadian astronaut Jeremy Hansen
NASA says it will be delaying the Artemis II moon mission that includes Canadian astronaut Jeremy Hansen, initially scheduled for November of this year. The U.S. space agency provided an update today on the timeline for the upcoming mission around the moon and said it will be pushed back to September 2025 due to a number of technical issues and to allow more preparation time.

NASA delays Artemis II moon mission that includes Canadian astronaut Jeremy Hansen

B.C. launches Canada's first self-screening cervical cancer plan, with at-home tests

B.C. launches Canada's first self-screening cervical cancer plan, with at-home tests
British Columbia is phasing out the pap test for cancer screening in favour of mail-in kits collected by patients. The government says trials have shown that screening for the human papillomavirus, or HPV, is more effective at finding pre-cancerous lesions compared with the pap test.

B.C. launches Canada's first self-screening cervical cancer plan, with at-home tests

Families across Canada with loved ones in Gaza vying for limited number of visas

Families across Canada with loved ones in Gaza vying for limited number of visas
Two Palestinian sisters in Newfoundland are among families across Canada applying for a limited number of special visas they hope will rescue their loved ones from the Israel-Hamas war. Marilyn and Miran Kasken say their younger brothers, 20-year-old Talal and 21-year-old Fahed, are sharing a tent in Rafah, near the Egyptian border. They have no water, no food, no bathrooms, no electricity and no internet. 

Families across Canada with loved ones in Gaza vying for limited number of visas

SBOT calls for resolution to job action by some transit workers

SBOT calls for resolution to job action by some transit workers
The Surrey Board of Trade is calling for a swift resolution to job action by some transit workers in Metro Vancouver. The union, which represents more than 180 workers including transit supervisors, engineers and maintenance workers, began refusing overtime hours on Saturday.

SBOT calls for resolution to job action by some transit workers

Burnaby motorcyclist killed in weekend crash

Burnaby motorcyclist killed in weekend crash
Burnaby RCMP are looking for witnesses after a motorcyclist was killed in a crash Saturday. Police say the motorcycle was travelling westbound on Grange Street and at the same time an S-U-V travelling the opposite direction was turning onto Chaffey Avenue. 

Burnaby motorcyclist killed in weekend crash

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey
Three people are facing multiple charges after an alleged carjacking in Surrey. Mounties say they responded to a report of a vehicle being taken at gunpoint Sunday afternoon.  

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey