Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's first conflict of interest and ethic commissioner, Mary Dawson, dies

Canada's first conflict of interest and ethic commissioner, Mary Dawson, dies
Former conflict of interest and ethics commissioner Mary Dawson has died. The commissioner's office posted a statement on its website today announcing it is saddened to learn of Dawson's death on Dec.24.

Canada's first conflict of interest and ethic commissioner, Mary Dawson, dies

Conservation group buys out hunting rights in B.C. rainforest to protect wildlife

Conservation group buys out hunting rights in B.C. rainforest to protect wildlife
A conservation group says its latest purchase of exclusive hunting rights in a British Columbia rainforest is a major step toward protecting the area's wildlife, but hunters say the move is an "abuse" of the licensing system. 

Conservation group buys out hunting rights in B.C. rainforest to protect wildlife

Christmas Day assault at NewWest SkyTrain

Christmas Day assault at NewWest SkyTrain
Police in Metro Vancouver say they're investigating a Christmas Day assault at a SkyTrain station that left the victim with serious injuries. They say officers were called to the New Westminster station at about 5 P-M.  

Christmas Day assault at NewWest SkyTrain

Vancouver jail guard charged with assault

Vancouver jail guard charged with assault
The B-C Prosecution Service says a Vancouver jail guard has been charged with assault.  The service says Special Municipal Constable Omar Ahmed Flores faces one count of assault related to an incident at the Vancouver Police Department's jail last January.   

Vancouver jail guard charged with assault

Third child under 10 dies of complications linked to influenza in B.C.

Third child under 10 dies of complications linked to influenza in B.C.
The latest update from the B.C. Centre for Disease Control says it received three reports of influenza-related deaths in children aged under 10 during the final week of 2023. It says that means influenza was a contributing factor but not necessarily the primary cause of death in the children.

Third child under 10 dies of complications linked to influenza in B.C.

Witnesses need to come forward in shooting, plea from Coquitlam RCMP

Witnesses need to come forward in shooting, plea from Coquitlam RCMP
Mounties in Coquitlam say they're looking for witnesses and video footage of a shooting Thursday afternoon. Coquitlam R-C-M-P say nobody was injured in the shooting, which happened before 3 p-m around Johnson Street and Glen Drive.

Witnesses need to come forward in shooting, plea from Coquitlam RCMP