Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Over 60 break and enter charges for Surrey man

Over 60 break and enter charges for Surrey man
R-C-M-P in Surrey say a man has been charged in more than 60 break-and-enters across the Lower Mainland and the B-C Interior. They say officers began investigating a series of residential break-ins where the suspect would steal garage door openers to later access the property.

Over 60 break and enter charges for Surrey man

Body found near railway tracks in Nanaimo

Body found near railway tracks in Nanaimo
Mounties in Nanaimo say officers are investigating a suspicious death of a man whose body was found near railway tracks yesterday. They say a passersby found the body around noon behind the curling club on Wall Street in a forested area.

Body found near railway tracks in Nanaimo

NDP caving to Poilievre on carbon price, has no idea how to fight climate change: PM

NDP caving to Poilievre on carbon price, has no idea how to fight climate change: PM
The NDP is caving to political pressure from Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre when it comes to its stance on the consumer carbon price, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday. Speaking to reporters in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Que., Trudeau blasted the NDP on its equivocation on the consumer carbon price while responding to a question about the upcoming byelection in Montreal.

NDP caving to Poilievre on carbon price, has no idea how to fight climate change: PM

B.C. accepts change for psychiatric care after alleged attack by mentally ill man

B.C. accepts change for psychiatric care after alleged attack by mentally ill man
The report, authored by former Abbotsford Police chief Bob Rich, says the suspect in the stabbing, Blair Donnelly, was on his 100th unescorted leave from the BC Forensic Psychiatric Hospital on Sept. 10, 2023, when he allegedly stabbed three festivalgoers at the Light Up Chinatown Festival. 

B.C. accepts change for psychiatric care after alleged attack by mentally ill man

CSC staff member assaulted in a prison

CSC staff member assaulted in a prison
Correctional Service Canada says a member of the staff was assaulted at the Kent Maximum Security Institution. The federal agency says the staff member was taken to an outside hospital to be treated and evaluated.

CSC staff member assaulted in a prison

BC 1st province to sign Pharmacare agreement

BC 1st province to sign Pharmacare agreement
British Columbia is becoming the first province in Canada to sign a pharmacare agreement with the federal government. The agreement means B-C is the first province to have the federal government help fund hormone replacement therapy and diabetes expenses.

BC 1st province to sign Pharmacare agreement