Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks
Vancouver police say a man has been arrested after a pair of "unprovoked stranger attacks" in the city's downtown that left one man dead and severed another victim's hand. Chief Constable Adam Palmer says police believe the early morning attacks near the Queen Elizabeth Theatre were "completely random," and that such incidents "shake our collective sense of comfort and safety."

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has "ripped up" the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. In a video posted Wednesday afternoon, Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

Two men dead after small plane crashes at northern Alberta airport

Two men dead after small plane crashes at northern Alberta airport
Mounties say two men are dead after a small plane crashed at an airport in a northwestern Alberta. The plane went down Tuesday on the grounds of the Peace River Airport. RCMP say a 30-year-old man who had been living Manning, Alta., and a 27-year-old resident of Australia died at the scene.

Two men dead after small plane crashes at northern Alberta airport

Statistics Canada says country posted $684M merchandise trade surplus in July

Statistics Canada says country posted $684M merchandise trade surplus in July
Statistics Canada says the country posted a merchandise trade surplus of $684 million in July. The result compared with a revised deficit of $179 million in June. The initial reading for June had shown a surplus of $638 million.

Statistics Canada says country posted $684M merchandise trade surplus in July

NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has ripped up the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power.  In a social media video posted Wednesday afternoon, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

Man arrested over two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre

Man arrested over two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre
Vancouver police say a man has been arrested in connection with two serious incidents in the downtown area. Police say on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, that the crime scenes are on Georgia Street near Homer and Hamilton streets.

Man arrested over two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre