Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor
The mayor of Montreal says the cause of a major water main break Friday morning near the city's Jacques Cartier Bridge remains unknown. Valérie Plante says 50 buildings were flooded when millions of litres of water erupted onto city streets, and 16 households have asked the Red Cross for emergency housing.

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor

Joly announces $1M to help stem mpox in Africa as Liberals craft continental plan

Joly announces $1M to help stem mpox in Africa as Liberals craft continental plan
The funding will go to the World Health Organization as it tries to contain the spread of the virus formerly known as monkeypox, which has been spreading rapidly across Africa. Joly is visiting a vaccination co-ordination centre in Ivory Coast, ahead of a visit to South Africa for two days starting Wednesday.

Joly announces $1M to help stem mpox in Africa as Liberals craft continental plan

Motorcyclist dies in collision

Motorcyclist dies in collision
A motorcyclist has died after colliding with a light standard in Abbotsford. Police say they were called to the intersection of Golden Avenue and Trethewey Street on Saturday at 3:30 p-m and the motorcyclist died from his injuries.

Motorcyclist dies in collision

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police
Mounties say a man has been charged more than a year after a body was found on a rural property in south central B.C. A statement from police says the body of Wayne Sirvio was discovered at a home in Sicamous on Aug. 5, 2023, three days after he was reported missing.

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'
The large wildfire that destroyed multiple homes in British Columbia's southern Interior last month is now considered "held." BC Wildfire Service says the 280-square-kilometre Shetland Creek wildfire is not likely to spread further, but crews still have hard work ahead.

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba
Mounties in Manitoba say they are investigating four deaths in and around the small community of McCreary, northwest of Winnipeg. RCMP Staff Sgt. Richard Sherring says around 10 a.m. today, officers acting on a tip found the body of a 41 year-old man on a road who had died from a self-inflicted injury.

Four found dead in homicide investigation in McCreary, Manitoba