Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire
The Shetland Creek wildfire destroyed at least 20 structures, six of which were homes in the Venables Valley in the days after the blaze was first reported on July 12. The fire is still classified as out of control and has burned 280 square kilometres of forested land on rural properties on the western side of the Thompson River.

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death
The WorkSafeBC report into the July 28 death of Zak Muise, employed by contractor Big Cat Wildfire, says the wildfire service didn't adequately supervise use of the utility vehicles, lacked procedures and training about their operation and didn't ensure they were inspected for safety.

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing
Mounties in Metro Vancouver say a three-month crackdown on unlicensed ride-hailing drivers has led to more than 66-thousand-dollars in fines. Richmond R-C-M-P say it involved six days of enforcement by officers who used unauthorized ride-hailing apps to book rides and intercept the drivers.

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing

Large scale theft at Lululemon

Large scale theft at Lululemon
Two men have been arrested in connection with what police describe as a large-scale theft operation targeting Lululemon stores across the Lower Mainland. Metro Vancouver Transit Police say a 39-year-old man was arrested in April as he was making a getaway at Burnaby's Metrotown SkyTrain station.

Large scale theft at Lululemon

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite
Banff residents have given a thumbs down to a pedestrian zone in the community's downtown, rejecting the idea in a plebiscite Monday. The Town of Banff posted unofficial results of the vote on its website, saying 1,328 votes were cast against the town council's decision to have a pedestrian zone on Banff Avenue every summer, from the May long weekend to Thanksgiving long weekend.

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan
Jessica Lunn, mayor of Slocan in British Columbia's Kootenay region, said she drove along Highway 6 this week to survey the damage done by a nearby complex of fires that forced the evacuations of hundreds and destroyed homes along the road. Lunn, who said attention was now turning to recovery, called the losses "heartbreaking," although she couldn't see the damaged buildings from the newly reopened section of highway.

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan