Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Many more dentists on board to provide care under dental-care program: Holland

Many more dentists on board to provide care under dental-care program: Holland
Health Minister Mark Holland says he has seen a large jump in the number of dentists who have agreed to provide care under the new dental-care program. The government began accepting claims for dental services for seniors enrolled in the program in May, and has since expanded eligibility to qualifying children under the age of 18 and people with a disability tax credit.

Many more dentists on board to provide care under dental-care program: Holland

Listeria contamination of plant milks happened in Pickering, Ont. facility, CFIA says

Listeria contamination of plant milks happened in Pickering, Ont. facility, CFIA says
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says the recent Listeria contamination of several plant-based milks occurred in a Pickering, Ont., factory.  It says the contamination happened on a "dedicated production line" at Joriki, which is a third-party beverage packaging facility used by plant-milk manufacturer Danone Canada.

Listeria contamination of plant milks happened in Pickering, Ont. facility, CFIA says

Rinse and repeat: Calgarians back to water restrictions as new pipe problems found

Rinse and repeat: Calgarians back to water restrictions as new pipe problems found
Residents in Calgary and surrounding communities, fresh off having to conserve water for weeks due to a water main break, are soon going to have to do it all over again. Mayor Jyoti Gondek announced Wednesday extended tests on more than 10 kilometres of pipe have revealed 16 more problem spots that need to be fixed.

Rinse and repeat: Calgarians back to water restrictions as new pipe problems found

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract
Boeing Canada plans to invest $61 million in British Columbia for an aerospace manufacturing training facility as well as research and development. The announcement is the latest from the American aviation giant as part of a multibillion-dollar deal with Ottawa on the purchase of new military surveillance planes.

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead
Fortis Alberta says one of its employees was shot and injured while performing routine work east of Calgary. Mounties in Strathmore say they responded to a shooting in a rural area in Rocky View County around midday Tuesday and found one person dead and another superficially wounded.

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail
WestJet says 16 of its planes have been grounded after a massive hailstorm hit Calgary earlier this week.  The Calgary-based airline says those aircraft — 10 per cent of its fleet — need substantial repairs and inspections before they can fly again. 

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail