Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines
WestJet and Whitehorse-based Air North have announced a new agreement that will allow single-ticket travel across both airlines' networks. A statement from WestJet says the new "interline agreement" allows passengers to book a single ticket with a connected itinerary between WestJet's network and the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'
Mark Jennings-Bates, with the Kaslo Search and Rescue, says a skilled helicopter pilot was able to navigate the winds and thick smoke to rescue the hikers from the side of an alpine lake. He says the four were well prepared and used an iPhone's emergency SOS feature to provide rescuers with their precise location.

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'

2 die in Merritt plane crash

2 die in Merritt plane crash
Police say a pilot and passenger are dead after an amateur-built plane crashed about two kilometres north of the Merritt airport last night.  R-C-M-P describe the two-seat aircraft as being "homebuilt" and "amphibious."

2 die in Merritt plane crash

Senior dies in motorcycle crash

Senior dies in motorcycle crash
A 71-year-old man is dead after a motorcycle crash in Twin Bays. R-C-M-P say it happened on Saturday on Highway 3-A.

Senior dies in motorcycle crash

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results
Burnaby's hospital is the first in the Fraser Health region to get a new system aimed at speeding up lab results. The 1.5-million-dollar Beckman Autoline D-x-A five-thousand system has a conveyor for moving test tubes between analyzers.

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk
A man is facing charges after a three-year-old boy was killed in Edmonton when a pickup truck hit him along with his mother and sister. The crash happened in the southwest neighbourhood of Allard on June 27.

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk