Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Suspect arrested in sexual assault
Police in Victoria say they've arrested a suspect who they believe violently sexually assaulted a woman last week. Victoria police say a woman was threatened and assaulted in the early morning hours of July 18th after an unknown man took her to an area near a piece of public art known as the Commerce Canoe before fleeing. 

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog
A Manitoba RCMP officer has been charged after a woman complained she was assaulted during a domestic call last year. Police were called to a home in The Pas in September after receiving reports of a dispute between two women. 

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire
Ramanath Das said he is aware that the eco-village he and his family are building in Venables Valley, B.C., may no longer exist when they return after being evacuated due to an encroaching wildfire. “We’re ready to go back and everything is as it was with ash all over it, or nothing’s there," said Das, who is the general manager of Vedic Eco Village.

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago
The federal government has reached a $147-million settlement with a First Nation in British Columbia over a dispute about water rights that dates back to the late 1800s. Members of the Esk'etemc First Nation in the Cariboo region began hand digging an irrigation ditch to their reserve with picks and shovels in the 1890s, but the government forced them to stop just a kilometre from their goal to access water for their reserve. 

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M
A fraud victim in Richmond has lost more than 1.5 million dollars. R-C-M-P say the victim reported sending the money after people posing as Chinese police officers falsely told them about a supposed outstanding arrest warrant in Hong Kong.

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Man dies in Surrey stabbing

Man dies in Surrey stabbing
Police say they're investigating a fatal stabbing in Surrey last night. R-C-M-P say officers responded to a complaint of a fight along King George Boulevard and arrived to find a man suffering from stab wounds. 

Man dies in Surrey stabbing