Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks
Breaking up the federal and provincial arms of the New Democratic Party would be a mistake, federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh suggested on Thursday, as members in Alberta increasingly vocalize their desire for a separation. Singh said the federal and Alberta NDP need to remain united in their goals to bring down conservatives.

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary
Police fired more than 100 rounds in the 26 seconds that followed, killing 22-year-old twin brothers Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie. Both men were wearing masks and body armour, and were carrying semi-automatic rifles. Police couldn't say who shot first. 

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities
When the government first announced people with disabilities would have access to national dental coverage this year, Antonella Giordano  really started to look forward to no longer paying out of pocket to care for her teeth. The 61-year-old Montrealer has been on disability from work for more than a decade for reasons related to her mental health.

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears
The mayor of Fort Nelson says the community is feeling more comfortable after a week of wet weather and a downgraded drought threat, but that doesn't mean they're blind to the risk of wildfires that still exists in the region.

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police
Police say the occupants of a Winnipeg home destroyed in an explosion have been located and are safe. They say a father and daughter who lived in the home left before the blast and were found later in the day.

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems
British Columbia's public power utility says for the first time it will provide rebates for the installation of rooftop solar and battery storage systems for residents and businesses.  BC Hydro says in a news release that eligible homeowners can receive rebates up to $10,000 for installing a qualified solar and battery storage system, while apartment buildings, schools, businesses and others could get from $50,000 to $150,000 back. 

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems