Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties
Federal opposition parties say a public inquiry into foreign interference must address findings that some MPs "wittingly" participated in meddling.  The House of Commons is set to vote on a Bloc Québécois motion that says the mandate of the inquiry should be expanded.

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break
Calgarians stepped up over the weekend to reduce their water use after a major water main break last week. Mayor Jyoti Gondek said Monday the city used about 30 per cent less water than it did before the break happened.

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break

Langley suspect on the lam

Langley suspect on the lam
Police in Langley say they're searching for a suspect who fled from officers after ramming two police cars with an S-U-V during an arrest. R-C-M-P say the incident happened on Thursday, when police received a call about a suspicious B-M-W S-U-V with two license plates that did not belong to the vehicle.

Langley suspect on the lam

Abbotsford man dies during boating

Abbotsford man dies during boating
An Abbotsford man has been found dead after going missing while rowing on the Sumas River earlier this week. Police say the 65-year-old rower was found by dive teams this weekend in the area where he was last seen.

Abbotsford man dies during boating

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death
Police have announced the arrests of four suspects just hours after a man was shot dead in Surrey.  The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says quick co-ordination between Surrey RCMP, Air 1 and the Lower Mainland's emergency response team led to the arrests. 

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical
Police in Burnaby say a driver is in critical condition in hospital after being struck by an object that crashed through their windshield along Highway 1. R-C-M-P say it happened just before noon yesterday and Highway Patrol officers were searching for the unknown object that seriously injured the driver.

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical