Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Senate committee calls for B.C. flooding plan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2022 12:03 PM
  • Senate committee calls for B.C. flooding plan

OTTAWA — The Senate committee on agriculture and forestry is calling for a comprehensive flood control plan for British Columbia's Fraser Valley following last year's catastrophic floods.

Last November, historic rainfall caused flooding of 15,000 hectares of land, affecting more than 1,000 farms and 2.5 million livestock, washing out highway and railway infrastructure, and causing an estimated $285 million in damage.

The committee said its study into the flooding and its impacts shows a flood control plan is "critical to protecting the vulnerable Fraser Valley region" from future, and potentially worse, disasters.

"Floods like those in southwest British Columbia in November 2021 will inevitably happen again and the damage they cause could be much worse," Sen. Robert Black, chairman of the committee, said in a news release.

"To protect Fraser Valley residents, farmers and their livelihoods, the federal government must invest in and help the B.C. government update the province’s outdated flood mitigation infrastructure."

The committee said the plan should include a timeline for dike upgrades and calls for the creation of a committee to examine flood mitigation measures, emergency preparedness and response strategies. 

It should be developed by the federal and provincial governments in collaboration with other stakeholders, including Indigenous communities, so it reflects the various challenges that different communities face when hit by flooding, the committee said.

The report also calls for co-operation between the Canadian and United States governments to address transboundary water issues, including the Nooksack River, which overflowed in the U.S. and was a major contributor to the flooding in the Fraser Valley.

Sen. Paula Simons, deputy chair of the committee, told a news conference Thursday that in addition to last year, the Nooksack River flooded in 1990, 1995 and 2006.

"This is a long-standing issue that residents, First Nations and governments have been concerned about for many years," she said.

"The committee believes that if nothing changes, this situation will simply happen again and again. It's essential that Canadian and U.S. officials work together on measures to manage transboundary waters like the Nooksack River and limit the impact of future flooding events."

Simons said the need for major updates to dikes had been known for years but nothing had been done to address the situation. She cited a 2015 study that found 87 per cent of the dikes in the Lower Mainland of B.C. were "in less-than-fair condition" and 71 per cent were "expected to fail simply by overtopping" in the event of a flood.

"To be told that it's 70 to 80 per cent of the dikes (that) are not going to be equipped to do the job required of them is a pretty sobering realization," she said.

Simons said that though the committee is encouraged the B.C. and Washington state governments are working together to prevent and respond to future flooding of the Nooksack River, co-ordination with federal governments is also needed.

"It's not going to be an easy fix, but I think the disaster of last November is a very sharp, forceful reminder that we have to make our diplomacy as efficient as possible in this area, because this is something that's not one order of government and not one country can solve.

MORE National ARTICLES

Public service workers in B.C. to begin job action

Public service workers in B.C. to begin job action
The union, which represents about 33,000 public-service workers across B.C., issued strike notice Friday and is to be in a legal strike position by this afternoon. It says picket lines will go up at 3:30 p.m., outside liquor distribution centres in Delta, Richmond and Kamloops, as well as the wholesale customer centre in Victoria.

Public service workers in B.C. to begin job action

Broad daylight shooting in Maple Ridge leaves man dead

Broad daylight shooting in Maple Ridge leaves man dead
Frontline officers arrived on scene to find a 33-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds. Police attempted life saving measures on the man until BC Ambulance Services arrived to continue; however, he was later pronounced dead.

Broad daylight shooting in Maple Ridge leaves man dead

Vehicle fire spreads, prompts evacuation alert

Vehicle fire spreads, prompts evacuation alert
The BC Wildfire Service website shows the fire has so far charred about 30 hectares, under half a kilometre square, along the route south of Cawston. The evacuation alert issued by the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen covers properties along the highway and Sumac Road, west of Richter Mountain.

Vehicle fire spreads, prompts evacuation alert

Wastewater testing expanding to monkeypox: Tam

Wastewater testing expanding to monkeypox: Tam
Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic wastewater detection became a key way to track the spread of the virus. Dr. Theresa Tam says the experts at the National Microbiology Lab have now discovered a promising approach to detect monkeypox in wastewater and will use the infrastructure developed during the pandemic look for it.

Wastewater testing expanding to monkeypox: Tam

Woman charged after officers 'swarmed': police

Woman charged after officers 'swarmed': police
A statement from Vancouver police says 44-year-old Alene West was charged after an officer was hit in the head with an object on Tuesday. The statement says several other suspects are also under investigation for what is described as a "swarming" of officers who were responding to reports of an unruly man at a community centre in the same block as the encampment.

Woman charged after officers 'swarmed': police

Charges in June machete attack in Vancouver

Charges in June machete attack in Vancouver
Vancouver police say the 37-year-old suspect was arrested Wednesday near the city's Chinatown neighbourhood. He is now charged with two counts of aggravated assault and remains in custody awaiting an Aug. 17 court date.

Charges in June machete attack in Vancouver