Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sexual-misconduct claims handled promptly: Sajjan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Feb, 2021 10:30 PM
  • Sexual-misconduct claims handled promptly: Sajjan

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan is declining to talk about when he first became aware of allegations of sexual misconduct against the former chief of the defence staff, but the minister assured MPs today he has always promptly informed the appropriate authorities of such accusations.

Appearing before the House of Commons defence committee, Sajjan indicated that any discussions he might have had with the military ombudsman about Gen. Jonathan Vance are confidential.

The committee hearing follows a Global News report that Vance allegedly had an ongoing relationship with a woman he significantly outranked.

The report also alleged the former chief of the defence staff made a sexual comment to a second, much younger, soldier in 2012, before he was appointed commander of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Vance, who turned over command of the military last month after more than five years in the job, has not responded to requests for comment by The Canadian Press and the allegations against him have not been independently verified.

Global says Vance, whose tenure as defence chief included a substantial focus on eliminating sexual misconduct from the ranks, has acknowledged that he dated the first woman nearly 20 years ago, but said the relationship had evolved over the years and was not sexual.

Global also reported that Vance said he had no recollection of making a sexual comment to the other junior member, adding if he did make the comment it would have been intended as a joke and that he was prepared to apologize.

Military police have launched their own investigation while Sajjan has promised a separate, independent review outside the chain of command.

The Department of National Defence said recently that military police opened an investigation in 2015 into Vance's conduct while he was serving in Italy the previous year, but that no charges were laid.

The Defence Department said the investigation was launched before Vance's appointment as defence chief in July 2015, but did not reveal the specific allegations that were investigated.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada 'disgraceful' in arresting Meng: envoy

Canada 'disgraceful' in arresting Meng: envoy
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shot back at China today, once again calling on the People’s Republic to release the two, saying they are being arbitrarily detained in an act of "hostage diplomacy."

Canada 'disgraceful' in arresting Meng: envoy

Toronto police looking for Dilukshan Rajkumar for shooting investigation

Toronto police looking for Dilukshan Rajkumar for shooting investigation
The 48-year-old man was not injured Security camera video of the incident has been released. Dilukshan Rajkumar, 24, of Toronto, is wanted for robbery with a firearm.

Toronto police looking for Dilukshan Rajkumar for shooting investigation

Climate plan includes carbon tax hikes

Climate plan includes carbon tax hikes
The plan includes money to encourage heavy industry to reduce its emissions, for communities to improve energy efficiency of buildings such as arenas and halls, and for remote communities to get off diesel-generated power.

Climate plan includes carbon tax hikes

Feds say 'rapid' COVID rise continues

Feds say 'rapid' COVID rise continues
New modelling released on Friday anticipates the COVID-19 death toll could hit nearly 15,000 by Christmas Day, while case counts are projected to climb to as many as 12,000 per day by the start of January.

Feds say 'rapid' COVID rise continues

Prominent Democrats defend Canada's plastics ban

Prominent Democrats defend Canada's plastics ban
Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal and Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy are among those expressing support for the ban, which will be phased in beginning next year.

Prominent Democrats defend Canada's plastics ban

B.C. records its most deadly day at 28 people

B.C. records its most deadly day at 28 people
Dr. Bonnie Henry says all but two of the 28 fatalities occurred in long-term care homes, and 587 people have now died in B.C. since the start of the pandemic.

B.C. records its most deadly day at 28 people