Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Shootdown of Flight 752 was terrorist act: court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 May, 2021 05:14 PM
  • Shootdown of Flight 752 was terrorist act: court

An Ontario court has ruled that the Iranian military's downing of a passenger jet early last year was an intentional act of terrorism, paving the way for relatives of those killed to seek compensation from the country.

In the decision, Ontario Superior Court Justice Edward Belobaba found on a balance of probabilities that the missiles that shot down Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 on Jan. 8, 2020, were fired deliberately at a time when there was no armed conflict in the area.

As a result, he found it constituted an act of terrorism that would invalidate Iran's immunity against civil litigation.

While the State Immunity Act protects foreign states from legal claims, the Justice for Victims of Terrorism Act provides an exception in cases where the losses are caused by terrorist activity, the ruling said.

More than 100 of the 176 people killed in the plane crash had ties to Canada, including 55 Canadian citizens and 30 permanent residents.

The lawsuit was filed last year by four people whose loved ones were killed in the attack.

Merzhad Zarei lost his 18-year-old son, Arad, while Shahin Moghaddam lost his wife, Shakiba, and their son Rossitin, the document said. Ali Gorji lost his niece Poureh and her husband Arash, who were newlyweds, it said.

The fourth plaintiff, identified only as Jane Doe because she fears reprisals from Iran, had planned to be on the plane alongside her husband but couldn't get a visa in time, the ruling said.

Lawyers representing the plaintiffs said the ruling is "unprecedented in Canadian law."

"It is significant for the impact it will have on immediate surviving family members seeking justice," Mark Arnold and Jonah Arnold said in a statement Thursday.

The suit names a number of defendants, including the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

Iran was served with the claim through Global Affairs Canada in September, but failed to file a statement of defence and was found in default in December.

Normally, a defendant found in default is deemed to admit the truth of the allegations made in the statement of claim, but the protections under the State Immunity Act apply even to those found in default, Belobaba wrote. The plaintiffs must therefore still satisfy the court that the case can proceed under the legally established exceptions.

"The plaintiffs have established that the shooting down of Flight 752 by the defendants was an act of terrorism and constitutes 'terrorist activity' under the SIA, the JVTA and the provisions of the Criminal Code," he wrote.

The judge relied on two expert reports -- one by Ralph Goodale, Canada's special adviser on the incident, and the other by the Special Rapporteur to the United Nations Human Rights Council -- in determining that the missiles were fired intentionally.

He also relied on the UN report and other experts in finding there was no armed conflict in the region at the time.

In the immediate aftermath of the shootdown, Iran denied responsibility but acknowledged three days later that its paramilitary Revolutionary Guard mistakenly hit the Ukrainian jetliner with two surface-to-air missiles.

Preliminary reports released by Iranian authorities last year pointed to an air-defence operator who they said mistook the Boeing 737-800 for an American cruise missile.

Iran's civil aviation body released a final report earlier this year that blamed "human error'' for the firing of the missiles but named no one responsible.

Thursday's ruling dealt only with liability. The judge said another hearing will be held regarding compensation.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. boaters urged to use caution near hurt whale

B.C. boaters urged to use caution near hurt whale
Ocean Wise says in a news release the whale was last seen near Vancouver's Point Gray and has a deep cut on its tailstock.

B.C. boaters urged to use caution near hurt whale

MP caught naked in virtual House of Commons

MP caught naked in virtual House of Commons
William Amos, who has represented the Quebec riding of Pontiac since 2015, appeared on the screens of his fellow members of Parliament completely naked Wednesday,

MP caught naked in virtual House of Commons

Italian-Canadians to get apology for internment

Italian-Canadians to get apology for internment
Trudeau told the House of Commons Wednesday that his government "will right these wrongs" by issuing a formal apology in May.

Italian-Canadians to get apology for internment

B.C. flags at half-mast for 7,000 overdose deaths

B.C. flags at half-mast for 7,000 overdose deaths
Chief coroner Lisa Lapointe and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said moves to decriminalize possession of drugs, increase safe drug supplies and provide recovery programs are important steps, but more must be done

B.C. flags at half-mast for 7,000 overdose deaths

Ontario sees vaccine issues, AstraZeneca remains

Ontario sees vaccine issues, AstraZeneca remains
Some immunization clinics in Ontario were forced to close their doors or cancel appointments due to what Premier Doug Ford said was a thrice-delayed shipment of the Moderna shot.

Ontario sees vaccine issues, AstraZeneca remains

Wedding host, business owners fined in Surrey, B.C., for breaking COVID-19 orders Surrey, B.C.

Wedding host, business owners fined in Surrey, B.C., for breaking COVID-19 orders Surrey, B.C.
RCMP say in a statement that most of the fines were issued over large gatherings, including a $2,300 fine for the host of a wedding where 22 people attended against the provincial health officer's orders.

Wedding host, business owners fined in Surrey, B.C., for breaking COVID-19 orders Surrey, B.C.