Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector
B.C.'s Forests Minister Ravi Parmar says U.S. softwood lumber duties and president-elect Donald Trump's threatened tariffs could be "devastating" to the province's forestry sector. He says the province needs to bring a "team B.C. and a team Canada" approach to fighting the duties.

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is welcoming news of a ceasefire deal to pause the 15-month war in the Gaza Strip. He says he hopes the deal will "turn down the temperature" on tensions in Canada and rebuild strained relationships between people affected by the war.

Trudeau says he hopes Gaza ceasefire will 'turn down the temperature' in Canada

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak
British Columbia ostrich farmers ordered to cull a herd of 400 due to an avian flu outbreak are holding onto hope that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency will change its mind before their kill date in just over two weeks.  The federal agency sent Universal Ostrich Farms Inc. a notice on Dec. 31 instructing their ostriches to be destroyed and disposed of by Feb. 1, but the owners are asking for more time to prove their farm should be spared. 

B.C. farmers challenge government order to cull ostrich herd over avian flu outbreak

First half of 5 lane Steveston interchange complete

First half of 5 lane Steveston interchange complete
B-C's Transportation Ministry says the first half of the new five-lane Steveston Interchange is now complete. Kelly Greene, M-L-A for Richmond-Steveston, says this marks a "major step" in improving transportation in the region, adding that once complete, it will improve connections between Highway 99 and the Steveston Highway.

First half of 5 lane Steveston interchange complete

Snowfall warning for Fort Nelson region

Snowfall warning for Fort Nelson region
Environment Canada has issued a snowfall warning for the Fort Nelson region. It says a Pacific frontal system will bring about 10 centimetres of snow starting this afternoon. The weather office says the snow will persist until tomorrow morning.

Snowfall warning for Fort Nelson region

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs
Canada's premiers are set to meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and members of his cabinet today to talk about U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's vow to impose steep tariffs. Trump has promised to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian and Mexican imports — one of several measures he says he'll enact on day one of his presidency through an executive order. He assumes that office on Monday.

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs