Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Nov, 2025 10:21 AM
  • Sick of sick notes: B.C. limits when employers can request sick notes

The British Columbia government has brought in new rules that limit when an employer can ask for a sick note, saving doctors the burden of writing them and preventing patients from spreading their illness even further. 

A government statement says that under new employment standards regulations, an employer can't ask for a note for the first two health-related absences of up to five consecutive days in the same year.

Health Minister Josie Osborne says the new rules that started Wednesday will ensure that those who are sick can stay home to recover, while reducing the unnecessary administrative burden on physicians. 

Dr. Lisa Gaede, a family physician and Doctors of BC representative, says sick notes put an "enormous burden on physicians and other primary care providers," and the change means they can be more available for patients who need their help. 

The statement says the changes are based on advice from care providers, who say scientific evidence shows that most minor illnesses for adults, such as flu or cold, have symptoms that resolve within five days. 

Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says when someone is sick with the flu, the last thing they want to do is go to their doctor to get a note that says they're sick. 

"Unnecessary medical appointments take time away from patients who need to see their doctors and nurses, don't help people get better any faster and risk further spread of illness," she says in the statement. 

The Canadian Medication Association estimates that B.C. doctors wrote about 1.6 million such notes last year. 

The statement says that health-related absences include when an employee or member of their immediate family is sick or injured.

The government says that health-care providers throughout the province have called for relief from administrative burdens, including such notes, that take them away from patient care. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires
Pascal Duclos, head pilot for the Quebec government's aerial service, said he spent several hours in the air on Tuesday, dumping dozens of loads of water over fire-devastated areas from his plane.

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER
The Manitoba government says a review is being launched into the death of a man who waited eight hours in a Winnipeg emergency department, but it's not clear how much of the review will be made public. Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara says a critical incident review will look at what happened after the man was brought by ambulance to the Health Sciences Centre early Tuesday morning.

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase
Medical masks are again required in British Columbia health-care facilities as provincial authorities say cases of respiratory illness are rising. A statement from B.C.'s Health Ministry says workers, volunteers and visitors in facilities operated by provincial health authorities must wear masks in areas where patients are receiving care in order to prevent the spread of the flu, RSV and COVID-19.

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase

Two bodies found after vehicle fire extinguished in B.C. regional park

Two bodies found after vehicle fire extinguished in B.C. regional park
Police say two bodies were found inside a vehicle that had allegedly been set on fire in a regional park in Abbotsford. They say officers and firefighters responded to a burning Mitsubishi Outlander on Jan. 3 in Sumas Mountain Regional Park, and when the flames were put out they discovered what appeared to be human remains. 

Two bodies found after vehicle fire extinguished in B.C. regional park

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse
Police have confirmed that the threat of an explosive device was the reason for the evacuation of a large area around the New Westminster courthouse including nearby Douglas College.

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Canada will not become the 51st US state: Eby

Canada will not become the 51st US state: Eby
Premier David Eby says Canada will not become the 51st American state. Eby says he's proud to be a Canadian and people in both countries recognize they are different places with different priorities, but are also good neighbours.

Canada will not become the 51st US state: Eby