Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sikh rally in Toronto with multi-party support prompts India diplomatic rebuke

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Apr, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Sikh rally in Toronto with multi-party support prompts India diplomatic rebuke

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau joined Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre and NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh at the Khalsa Day rally in Toronto on Sunday.

The rally commemorates the Sikh faith, and some participants chanted and carried banners emblazoned with slogans calling for a state separate from India, known as Khalistan.

India formally summoned Canada's deputy high commissioner Monday, and the country's foreign ministry decried what it called "disturbing actions being allowed to continue unchecked at the event."

India's foreign ministry didn't specify what it took issue with, but noted there were displays of separatism and alleged this illustrates Canada tolerating "extremism and violence."

New Delhi and Ottawa have been at odds over the issue for decades, and the relationship has been significantly strained since Trudeau accused India of playing a role in the slaying of a Canadian Sikh leader last year. 

Canada insists it will not infringe on free speech, including when Sikh people call for the existence of Khalistan. 

But India says these comments violate its constitution.

India has pointed out instances of people in Canada openly glorifying those linked to the 1985 bombing of an Air India plane, whose passengers were largely Canadian citizens. 

Human-rights groups says the country's Hindu nationalist government has increasingly persecuted minorities in recent years.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly's office did not immediately comment on India's rebuke Monday. 

Joly has repeatedly said she wants to navigate the diplomatic rift with India in private. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Three people injured, suspect in custody following stabbings in Vancouver's Chinatown

Three people injured, suspect in custody following stabbings in Vancouver's Chinatown
One man is in police custody after three people were stabbed at Vancouver's Light Up Chinatown! festival. Vancouver police say the attack took place just before 6 p.m. Sunday, near the festival stage at Columbia and Keefer Streets.

Three people injured, suspect in custody following stabbings in Vancouver's Chinatown

Double shooting in East Vancouver

Double shooting in East Vancouver
Police say they're investigating a double shooting that occurred in East Vancouver over the weekend. Investigators were called after midnight on Sunday about a shooting near Victoria Drive and East 28th Avenue. 

Double shooting in East Vancouver

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended
Residents of wildfire-ravaged Wilson's Landing in West Kelowna, B.C., were granted a four-hour window Friday to access their homes to retrieve important items as an area-wide restriction order was extended to Sept. 15. The Central Okanagan Regional District says in a statement residents were temporarily permitted entry to the evacuation zone, but no further access is expected this weekend.

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year
Prosecutors in British Columbia have approved multiple charges against a Vancouver police officer a year after a pedestrian was hit by a police car in the city's Downtown Eastside. Const. Jack Zhao has been charged with driving without due care and attention, failing to exercise due care to avoid colliding with a pedestrian, and speeding.  

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC
B-C is experiencing a spike in COVID-19 numbers, with cases, hospitalizations and deaths all up in recent weeks. The monthly report from the B-C Centre for Disease Control shows that 447 people tested positive for the virus between August 27th and September 2nd -- more than triple the 133 cases recorded in the first full week of last month.

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'
Dix was meeting doctors and officials at Surrey Memorial Hospital this morning to update them on expanding the facility's emergency capacity, after complaints this year from workers that they lack resources to cope with the large number of incoming patients.

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'