Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

29 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

29 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
In total, 4,941,795 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 1,368,464 of which are second doses.    

29 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Facing unprecedented heat related casualties, VPD deploys dozens of extra officers

Facing unprecedented heat related casualties, VPD deploys dozens of extra officers
 As of 1:45 p.m. today, VPD officers had responded to more than 65 sudden deaths since the heat wave began on Friday, with more casualties being reported by the hour. Today alone, officers had responded to 20 sudden deaths as of 1:45 p.m., with more than a dozen others waiting for police to be dispatched.

Facing unprecedented heat related casualties, VPD deploys dozens of extra officers

Meng argues for admission of HSBC evidence in case

Meng argues for admission of HSBC evidence in case
Mark Sandler told a B.C. Supreme Court judge the documents obtained from HSBC include internal email chains and spreadsheets that undermine the allegations of fraud against Meng.

Meng argues for admission of HSBC evidence in case

Record set for drug deaths so far in 2021 in B.C

Record set for drug deaths so far in 2021 in B.C
The agency says 851 people died between January and May, which surpasses the previous high of 704 deaths reported for those months in 2017 by almost 21 per cent.

Record set for drug deaths so far in 2021 in B.C

BC eases more restrictions as we enter Stage 3 of its restart plan, masks not required as of July 1

BC eases more restrictions as we enter Stage 3 of its restart plan, masks not required as of July 1
The province will be recommending people wear masks in public indoor spaces if they are partially vaccinated or not vaccinated. No recommendation to wear a mask for those who are fully vaccinated.

BC eases more restrictions as we enter Stage 3 of its restart plan, masks not required as of July 1

Vaccines saved lives already, says Tam

Vaccines saved lives already, says Tam
Canada's chief public health officer says without vaccines the third wave of COVID-19 in Canada would have been much deadlier. Dr. Theresa Tam says as vaccines began to roll out among the most vulnerable, older populations in Canada, she was "quite struck" by how quickly infections and deaths plummeted in that age group.

Vaccines saved lives already, says Tam