Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Dec, 2021 01:28 PM
  • Singh would back Bill 21 court challenge

Jagmeet Singh says he would support federal intervention in a court challenge to a Quebec law known as Bill 21, which bans teachers and some other public-sector workers from wearing religious symbols on the job.

The NDP leader said Tuesday he always believed the law was discriminatory but has hardened his stance on court action following the case of a teacher in Chelsea, Que., who was reassigned because she wears a hijab.

Fatemeh Anvari, a Grade 3 teacher, was told she could no longer teach in a classroom because her hijab contravened the Quebec law.

Parents and children, along with community members, have protested outside the school to voice opposition to the law and express support for the teacher.

Speaking at an Ottawa news conference, Singh said it was unfair that a Muslim woman who wears a hijab would not be allowed to teach in Quebec, but her brother, who does not wear any religious symbols, would be permitted to do the job.

"Given what we have seen in Chelsea, given that we saw a woman that was removed from the classroom just because of the way she looks … now is the moment to be very clear and say if this case gets to the federal level then the federal government should support the three million Quebecers who are opposed to this law and opposed to discrimination," he said.

Singh has previously criticized the law but stopped short of calling for federal intervention in the past.

The NDP leader, who is Sikh and wears a turban, said Tuesday he has experienced discrimination himself.

"The federal government should support the Quebecers who are fighting this discrimination in court," he added.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week that he deeply disagrees with Bill 21 and his government has not ruled out intervening in a legal battle against the law "at some point in time."

Tory Leader Erin O'Toole has said the issue is a matter for Quebec.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said in French: "We understand in Quebec, once again, that the federal parties are unanimously against Quebec on the issue of secularism."

MORE National ARTICLES

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order
Trans Mountain has now submitted a satisfactory plan to correct deficiencies in the oversight of its contractors that could pose threats to nesting birds, the Canada Energy Regulator said Tuesday in a statement.

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 1,150 active cases of COVID-19 in BC. This is the lowest number since of active cases since September 1. There There are 111 people in hospital, up 3, and 41 in ICU, down 6.

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats
Rachna Singh, parliamentary secretary for anti-racism initiatives, says a partner with the province's anti-racism network in Nanaimo and Ladysmith decided to cancel the car rally after organizers received threats of physical violence.

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault
62 year old Abbotsford resident, Deepak Sharma, was found guilty on June 18th, 2021 in North Vancouver provincial court. His sentencing hearing date has been set for June 29. 

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault

Canada's Senate gets three new members

Canada's Senate gets three new members
Three new senators, including a high-profile labour leader, have been named to the upper chamber on the advice of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The Trudeau Liberals have used an advisory board to review potential senators and make merit-based recommendations for the prime minister to review.

Canada's Senate gets three new members

No parole for teen killer Paul Bernardo

No parole for teen killer Paul Bernardo
Teen killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo failed in his second parole bid on Tuesday after the parents of two of his victims recounted the enduring pain of his twisted crimes and warned he should never be released from his life sentence.

No parole for teen killer Paul Bernardo