Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:49 AM
  • Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Two First Nations sisters are among four people who died in a shooting over the weekend in downtown Winnipeg.

Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday to a home where they found five people wounded. A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and another man and woman died later in hospital. A 55-year-old man remains in hospital in critical condition. 

On Monday, police identified those killed as: Crystal Beardy, 34; her sister Stephanie Beardy, 33; Melelek Lesikel, 29; and Dylan Lavallee, 41.

“Our hearts go out to these families and the community," said Insp. Jennifer McKinnon.

The sisters are from Lake St. Martin First Nation, north of Winnipeg. 

"Lake St. Martin has lost two members of their community … We have reached out to the family and leadership to offer community support," said McKinnon. 

Chief Chris Traverse said he was with Beverley Beardy on Sunday when she found out her daughters were killed. 

Traverse and workers in his community, including Beverley Beardy, were on a staff retreat on the weekend when the mother got the call. The chief drove her to Winnipeg and has been with the family ever since. 

"She's very hurt. She's emotionally hurt right now," Traverse said in an interview. 

"It's just hard on the community as a whole and each member feels the pain that Beverley is feeling."

Traverse has known the family for 14 years. He said this isn't the first time Beverley has had to grieve the loss of a child. Two other daughters have died within the past six years. 

The leader last spoke with Stephanie Beardy on Friday. She was excited to leave Lake St. Martin for a visit in the city with her nephews. 

"No one knows when something like this is going to happen," said Traverse. 

Police have also been in touch with Lesikel's family who lives in Kenya and the United States, as well as Lavallee's family in Winnipeg. 

No arrests have been made and police have yet to determine if there was one shooter or multiple. Police asked anyone in the neighbourhood to check their video surveillance cameras.

Police Chief Danny Smyth said he understands the shooting is "a shock to the community" and may cause concern and fear. 

"We will do everything that we can to discover why this happened and who was involved," he told reporters. 

"This is a dangerous offender in my view, and we must do everything that we can to identify that person."

Smyth added the shootings are likely an isolated event, as police haven't received any other reports of similar violence. 

Much of the street was blocked off by yellow police tape on Sunday afternoon, with officers posted on either side of the taped-off section. As of the next morning, the street was opened except for a small perimeter around the multi-unit house, which was still taped off. 

Marked patrol cars were stationed in front of the home and parked in the back lane on Monday. 

It's still early in the investigation and officers are expected to be at the scene for the better part of this week, said Smyth. 

"It’s not like a television program. It’s not going to be over in an hour," he said. 

Premier Wab Kinew recognized safety is a concern in the city and many may be shaken. 

"When a situation like this happens in our city and in our province, the response has to be with law enforcement," he said Monday at an unrelated event.

"The response has to be with the administration of justice and holding people accountable. And, so we're working with our partners to so just that."

Police say there have been 38 homicides in this city so far this year. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

2 charged in Ponzi scheme

2 charged in Ponzi scheme
Police in Edmonton have charged two people in an alleged Ponzi scheme targeting residents of Alberta and B-C. The department's financial crimes section says it became aware of the alleged scam in early 2020.

2 charged in Ponzi scheme

B.C. judge to review police handling of Surrey constable caught drunk driving

B.C. judge to review police handling of Surrey constable caught drunk driving
The Office of British Columbia's Police Complaint Commissioner has ordered a review of the case of a Surrey Police Service officer it says asked to be let off when he was caught driving while impaired. It says an investigation by Surrey police confirmed two allegations of discreditable conduct and another of corrupt practice against Const. Rajbir Thaper, but proposed discipline amounting to five days of unpaid suspension was inadequate.

B.C. judge to review police handling of Surrey constable caught drunk driving

Richmond Hospital Foundation gets $10 M from owner of Dan-D Foods

Richmond Hospital Foundation gets $10 M from owner of Dan-D Foods
A Richmond business owner is donating 10-million-dollars to the city's hospital. Dan-D Foods founder and owner Dan On says he wants to contribute to the community where he lives and works after living in poverty in Vietnam before moving to Canada and forming his company.

Richmond Hospital Foundation gets $10 M from owner of Dan-D Foods

Residents offered bus visits to burned homes in and around West Kelowna

Residents offered bus visits to burned homes in and around West Kelowna
A statement from the regional emergeny operations centre says only people whose properties are completely destroyed or damaged to the point they're uninhabitable will be invited to participate at this time. 

Residents offered bus visits to burned homes in and around West Kelowna

Woman stabbed in Abbotsford

Woman stabbed in Abbotsford
Police say a woman is in hospital after being stabbed in Abbotsford. Police say officers responded to reports of suspicious activity in an area near Nadeau Park yesterday afternoon and found a 46-year-old woman suffering from stab wounds.

Woman stabbed in Abbotsford

Arrest made in cold-case sex assaults, suspect released by judge: Vancouver police

Arrest made in cold-case sex assaults, suspect released by judge: Vancouver police
Vancouver police say they have solved a series of cold-case sexual assaults dating back 14 years, leading to the arrest of a suspect in Saskatchewan. Deputy Chief Constable Fiona Wilson told a briefing that 45-year-old Arturo Garcia Gorjon has been linked to four "blitz-style" assaults in Vancouver from July 1, 2009, to Christmas Eve 2010.

Arrest made in cold-case sex assaults, suspect released by judge: Vancouver police