Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:49 AM
  • Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Two First Nations sisters are among four people who died in a shooting over the weekend in downtown Winnipeg.

Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday to a home where they found five people wounded. A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and another man and woman died later in hospital. A 55-year-old man remains in hospital in critical condition. 

On Monday, police identified those killed as: Crystal Beardy, 34; her sister Stephanie Beardy, 33; Melelek Lesikel, 29; and Dylan Lavallee, 41.

“Our hearts go out to these families and the community," said Insp. Jennifer McKinnon.

The sisters are from Lake St. Martin First Nation, north of Winnipeg. 

"Lake St. Martin has lost two members of their community … We have reached out to the family and leadership to offer community support," said McKinnon. 

Chief Chris Traverse said he was with Beverley Beardy on Sunday when she found out her daughters were killed. 

Traverse and workers in his community, including Beverley Beardy, were on a staff retreat on the weekend when the mother got the call. The chief drove her to Winnipeg and has been with the family ever since. 

"She's very hurt. She's emotionally hurt right now," Traverse said in an interview. 

"It's just hard on the community as a whole and each member feels the pain that Beverley is feeling."

Traverse has known the family for 14 years. He said this isn't the first time Beverley has had to grieve the loss of a child. Two other daughters have died within the past six years. 

The leader last spoke with Stephanie Beardy on Friday. She was excited to leave Lake St. Martin for a visit in the city with her nephews. 

"No one knows when something like this is going to happen," said Traverse. 

Police have also been in touch with Lesikel's family who lives in Kenya and the United States, as well as Lavallee's family in Winnipeg. 

No arrests have been made and police have yet to determine if there was one shooter or multiple. Police asked anyone in the neighbourhood to check their video surveillance cameras.

Police Chief Danny Smyth said he understands the shooting is "a shock to the community" and may cause concern and fear. 

"We will do everything that we can to discover why this happened and who was involved," he told reporters. 

"This is a dangerous offender in my view, and we must do everything that we can to identify that person."

Smyth added the shootings are likely an isolated event, as police haven't received any other reports of similar violence. 

Much of the street was blocked off by yellow police tape on Sunday afternoon, with officers posted on either side of the taped-off section. As of the next morning, the street was opened except for a small perimeter around the multi-unit house, which was still taped off. 

Marked patrol cars were stationed in front of the home and parked in the back lane on Monday. 

It's still early in the investigation and officers are expected to be at the scene for the better part of this week, said Smyth. 

"It’s not like a television program. It’s not going to be over in an hour," he said. 

Premier Wab Kinew recognized safety is a concern in the city and many may be shaken. 

"When a situation like this happens in our city and in our province, the response has to be with law enforcement," he said Monday at an unrelated event.

"The response has to be with the administration of justice and holding people accountable. And, so we're working with our partners to so just that."

Police say there have been 38 homicides in this city so far this year. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey Drive Thru Arrest

Surrey Drive Thru Arrest
The man allegedly berated drive-thru staff in early February. Mounties say the man was arrested on May 24th and was charged with assault and causing a disturbance.

Surrey Drive Thru Arrest

B.C. giving $4.5 million to upgrade children's hospice facility

B.C. giving $4.5 million to upgrade children's hospice facility
Health Minister Adrian Dix says the funding will go toward structural repairs, enhancing patient care rooms, improving ventilation and making it more accessible. The minister says construction is expected to be complete by 2025.

B.C. giving $4.5 million to upgrade children's hospice facility

2 injured in shooting, 8 arrested: VPD

2 injured in shooting, 8 arrested: VPD
Witnesses called 9-1-1 reporting shots fired near East Hastings and Columbia just before 4:30 p.m. VPD flooded the area and located a victim with gunshot wounds, while several people were seen fleeing the area on foot. Eight people were arrested and have since been released pending further investigation.

2 injured in shooting, 8 arrested: VPD

Greens vouch for free transit for youth

Greens vouch for free transit for youth
B-C Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau says it's time youth up to the age of 18 were allowed to ride free on transit. A statement from Furstenau says the B-C Green caucus wants the New Democrat government to expand free transit to youth.

Greens vouch for free transit for youth

Overdose crisis texts implemented at VCH

Overdose crisis texts implemented at VCH
A new text alert system to warn about batches of toxic drugs is being implemented in the Vancouver Coastal Health authority. Those who want the alerts can text JOIN to the number 2-5-3-7-8-7, while those who were already signed up on Radar will be added automatically.  

Overdose crisis texts implemented at VCH

Nearly 700 more international firefighters coming to Canada to help battle fires

Nearly 700 more international firefighters coming to Canada to help battle fires
Almost 700 firefighters from South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and the United States are set to arrive in Canada over the next two weeks to help with the unusually severe start to the wildfire season. There are 214 fires burning and 93 of them are out of control, up from 87 out-of-control fires Thursday.  

Nearly 700 more international firefighters coming to Canada to help battle fires