Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:49 AM
  • Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Two First Nations sisters are among four people who died in a shooting over the weekend in downtown Winnipeg.

Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday to a home where they found five people wounded. A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and another man and woman died later in hospital. A 55-year-old man remains in hospital in critical condition. 

On Monday, police identified those killed as: Crystal Beardy, 34; her sister Stephanie Beardy, 33; Melelek Lesikel, 29; and Dylan Lavallee, 41.

“Our hearts go out to these families and the community," said Insp. Jennifer McKinnon.

The sisters are from Lake St. Martin First Nation, north of Winnipeg. 

"Lake St. Martin has lost two members of their community … We have reached out to the family and leadership to offer community support," said McKinnon. 

Chief Chris Traverse said he was with Beverley Beardy on Sunday when she found out her daughters were killed. 

Traverse and workers in his community, including Beverley Beardy, were on a staff retreat on the weekend when the mother got the call. The chief drove her to Winnipeg and has been with the family ever since. 

"She's very hurt. She's emotionally hurt right now," Traverse said in an interview. 

"It's just hard on the community as a whole and each member feels the pain that Beverley is feeling."

Traverse has known the family for 14 years. He said this isn't the first time Beverley has had to grieve the loss of a child. Two other daughters have died within the past six years. 

The leader last spoke with Stephanie Beardy on Friday. She was excited to leave Lake St. Martin for a visit in the city with her nephews. 

"No one knows when something like this is going to happen," said Traverse. 

Police have also been in touch with Lesikel's family who lives in Kenya and the United States, as well as Lavallee's family in Winnipeg. 

No arrests have been made and police have yet to determine if there was one shooter or multiple. Police asked anyone in the neighbourhood to check their video surveillance cameras.

Police Chief Danny Smyth said he understands the shooting is "a shock to the community" and may cause concern and fear. 

"We will do everything that we can to discover why this happened and who was involved," he told reporters. 

"This is a dangerous offender in my view, and we must do everything that we can to identify that person."

Smyth added the shootings are likely an isolated event, as police haven't received any other reports of similar violence. 

Much of the street was blocked off by yellow police tape on Sunday afternoon, with officers posted on either side of the taped-off section. As of the next morning, the street was opened except for a small perimeter around the multi-unit house, which was still taped off. 

Marked patrol cars were stationed in front of the home and parked in the back lane on Monday. 

It's still early in the investigation and officers are expected to be at the scene for the better part of this week, said Smyth. 

"It’s not like a television program. It’s not going to be over in an hour," he said. 

Premier Wab Kinew recognized safety is a concern in the city and many may be shaken. 

"When a situation like this happens in our city and in our province, the response has to be with law enforcement," he said Monday at an unrelated event.

"The response has to be with the administration of justice and holding people accountable. And, so we're working with our partners to so just that."

Police say there have been 38 homicides in this city so far this year. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Spike in car thefts in Prince George

Spike in car thefts in Prince George
Corporal Jennifer Cooper says in the first two weeks of May, the force has seen more than a 100 per cent jump in reported thefts. She says many of the reported thefts are of early 2000s model vehicles.

Spike in car thefts in Prince George

Road closures in effect in the area of 128th street in Surrey

Road closures in effect in the area of 128th street in Surrey
Road closures between 102 Avenue and 104 Avenue on 128 Street are in place due to a serious motor vehicle collision. The road closure is in effect until further notice. 7  people from the two vehicles were injured and have been transported to local hospital. 

Road closures in effect in the area of 128th street in Surrey

Cyclist dies in early morning crash:Langley RCMP

Cyclist dies in early morning crash:Langley RCMP
Langley R-C-M-P say the driver of the Mercedes allegedly struck the cyclist and left the scene before officers arrived, but was quickly located. Police say the factors contributing to the crash have yet to be determined and no charges have yet been laid.  

Cyclist dies in early morning crash:Langley RCMP

Smoky skies cause poor air quality in parts of B.C., Environment Canada says

Smoky skies cause poor air quality in parts of B.C., Environment Canada says
Smoke had also started spreading to the Whistler, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast areas, causing variable but hazy conditions, the weather agency said Thursday. It said smoke impacts may be worse at higher elevations in the Okanagan, but rain may provide some relief.

Smoky skies cause poor air quality in parts of B.C., Environment Canada says

Passport redesign just the latest battle in the culture war over Canadian identity

Passport redesign just the latest battle in the culture war over Canadian identity
That video, which calls the passport Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's "colouring book" because it features images of a squirrel eating a nut and a man raking leaves, reached nearly a million people in a week, far exceeding Poilievre's other recent videos.

Passport redesign just the latest battle in the culture war over Canadian identity

WestJet ramping up after reaching deal with pilots, but not before cancelling flights

WestJet ramping up after reaching deal with pilots, but not before cancelling flights
WestJet said Friday it's ramping up operations as quickly as possible, but warned that the full resumption of operations will take time. The airline encouraged travellers to continue to check the status of their flight before heading to the airport.

WestJet ramping up after reaching deal with pilots, but not before cancelling flights