Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:49 AM
  • Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Two First Nations sisters are among four people who died in a shooting over the weekend in downtown Winnipeg.

Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday to a home where they found five people wounded. A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and another man and woman died later in hospital. A 55-year-old man remains in hospital in critical condition. 

On Monday, police identified those killed as: Crystal Beardy, 34; her sister Stephanie Beardy, 33; Melelek Lesikel, 29; and Dylan Lavallee, 41.

“Our hearts go out to these families and the community," said Insp. Jennifer McKinnon.

The sisters are from Lake St. Martin First Nation, north of Winnipeg. 

"Lake St. Martin has lost two members of their community … We have reached out to the family and leadership to offer community support," said McKinnon. 

Chief Chris Traverse said he was with Beverley Beardy on Sunday when she found out her daughters were killed. 

Traverse and workers in his community, including Beverley Beardy, were on a staff retreat on the weekend when the mother got the call. The chief drove her to Winnipeg and has been with the family ever since. 

"She's very hurt. She's emotionally hurt right now," Traverse said in an interview. 

"It's just hard on the community as a whole and each member feels the pain that Beverley is feeling."

Traverse has known the family for 14 years. He said this isn't the first time Beverley has had to grieve the loss of a child. Two other daughters have died within the past six years. 

The leader last spoke with Stephanie Beardy on Friday. She was excited to leave Lake St. Martin for a visit in the city with her nephews. 

"No one knows when something like this is going to happen," said Traverse. 

Police have also been in touch with Lesikel's family who lives in Kenya and the United States, as well as Lavallee's family in Winnipeg. 

No arrests have been made and police have yet to determine if there was one shooter or multiple. Police asked anyone in the neighbourhood to check their video surveillance cameras.

Police Chief Danny Smyth said he understands the shooting is "a shock to the community" and may cause concern and fear. 

"We will do everything that we can to discover why this happened and who was involved," he told reporters. 

"This is a dangerous offender in my view, and we must do everything that we can to identify that person."

Smyth added the shootings are likely an isolated event, as police haven't received any other reports of similar violence. 

Much of the street was blocked off by yellow police tape on Sunday afternoon, with officers posted on either side of the taped-off section. As of the next morning, the street was opened except for a small perimeter around the multi-unit house, which was still taped off. 

Marked patrol cars were stationed in front of the home and parked in the back lane on Monday. 

It's still early in the investigation and officers are expected to be at the scene for the better part of this week, said Smyth. 

"It’s not like a television program. It’s not going to be over in an hour," he said. 

Premier Wab Kinew recognized safety is a concern in the city and many may be shaken. 

"When a situation like this happens in our city and in our province, the response has to be with law enforcement," he said Monday at an unrelated event.

"The response has to be with the administration of justice and holding people accountable. And, so we're working with our partners to so just that."

Police say there have been 38 homicides in this city so far this year. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. casinos will require all to show government ID under self-exclusion program

B.C. casinos will require all to show government ID under self-exclusion program
The corporation says the measure will be rolled out this summer, with more details to be announced in coming weeks, including the implementation date. It says security staff will scan IDs that will be automatically checked against a list of people who are taking part in the Game Break self-exclusion program.

B.C. casinos will require all to show government ID under self-exclusion program

Canadian gets 9 years in jail for stabbing Indian to death

Canadian gets 9 years in jail for stabbing Indian to death
Prabhjot Singh Katri, the 23-year-old who moved from India to Nova Scotia in 2017, was stabbed in the neck by Cameron James Prosper on September 5, 2021, as he was walking to his car after leaving a friend's apartment at 494 Robie St in Truro, the Global News reported.

Canadian gets 9 years in jail for stabbing Indian to death

WestJet issues strike notice

WestJet issues strike notice
The pilots are warning the airline could be shut down on Friday, right before the May long weekend. The pilots want better job protection, pay and scheduling, noting about 340 pilots have left WestJet over the past 18-months -- mostly for other airlines

WestJet issues strike notice

Joly promotes friendship with South Korea as Canada seeks closer ties

Joly promotes friendship with South Korea as Canada seeks closer ties
Joly arrived in the South Korean capital with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who's making his first official visit to the country as the two governments try to build closer ties and work together on global security concerns.

Joly promotes friendship with South Korea as Canada seeks closer ties

Annual pace of inflation rose in April

Annual pace of inflation rose in April
BMO senior economist Robert Kavcic says while the first big drop-down in inflation was quick and relatively easy, this next stage is proving to be quite a bit tougher. He says it appears underlying core inflation is settling in around four per cent, which is clearly still too high for the Bank of Canada's comfort. 

Annual pace of inflation rose in April

B.C. to refer some cancer patients to Washington to cut radiation therapy wait

B.C. to refer some cancer patients to Washington to cut radiation therapy wait
Starting May 29th, Adrian Dix says B-C Cancer will offer eligible patients the opportunity to undergo treatment at one of two partner clinics in Bellingham, with costs related to treatment, travel, accommodation and meals fully covered.

B.C. to refer some cancer patients to Washington to cut radiation therapy wait