Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:49 AM
  • Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Two First Nations sisters are among four people who died in a shooting over the weekend in downtown Winnipeg.

Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday to a home where they found five people wounded. A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and another man and woman died later in hospital. A 55-year-old man remains in hospital in critical condition. 

On Monday, police identified those killed as: Crystal Beardy, 34; her sister Stephanie Beardy, 33; Melelek Lesikel, 29; and Dylan Lavallee, 41.

“Our hearts go out to these families and the community," said Insp. Jennifer McKinnon.

The sisters are from Lake St. Martin First Nation, north of Winnipeg. 

"Lake St. Martin has lost two members of their community … We have reached out to the family and leadership to offer community support," said McKinnon. 

Chief Chris Traverse said he was with Beverley Beardy on Sunday when she found out her daughters were killed. 

Traverse and workers in his community, including Beverley Beardy, were on a staff retreat on the weekend when the mother got the call. The chief drove her to Winnipeg and has been with the family ever since. 

"She's very hurt. She's emotionally hurt right now," Traverse said in an interview. 

"It's just hard on the community as a whole and each member feels the pain that Beverley is feeling."

Traverse has known the family for 14 years. He said this isn't the first time Beverley has had to grieve the loss of a child. Two other daughters have died within the past six years. 

The leader last spoke with Stephanie Beardy on Friday. She was excited to leave Lake St. Martin for a visit in the city with her nephews. 

"No one knows when something like this is going to happen," said Traverse. 

Police have also been in touch with Lesikel's family who lives in Kenya and the United States, as well as Lavallee's family in Winnipeg. 

No arrests have been made and police have yet to determine if there was one shooter or multiple. Police asked anyone in the neighbourhood to check their video surveillance cameras.

Police Chief Danny Smyth said he understands the shooting is "a shock to the community" and may cause concern and fear. 

"We will do everything that we can to discover why this happened and who was involved," he told reporters. 

"This is a dangerous offender in my view, and we must do everything that we can to identify that person."

Smyth added the shootings are likely an isolated event, as police haven't received any other reports of similar violence. 

Much of the street was blocked off by yellow police tape on Sunday afternoon, with officers posted on either side of the taped-off section. As of the next morning, the street was opened except for a small perimeter around the multi-unit house, which was still taped off. 

Marked patrol cars were stationed in front of the home and parked in the back lane on Monday. 

It's still early in the investigation and officers are expected to be at the scene for the better part of this week, said Smyth. 

"It’s not like a television program. It’s not going to be over in an hour," he said. 

Premier Wab Kinew recognized safety is a concern in the city and many may be shaken. 

"When a situation like this happens in our city and in our province, the response has to be with law enforcement," he said Monday at an unrelated event.

"The response has to be with the administration of justice and holding people accountable. And, so we're working with our partners to so just that."

Police say there have been 38 homicides in this city so far this year. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey pedestrian dies after being struck by a pickup truck

Surrey pedestrian dies after being struck by a pickup truck
A Surrey man is dead after he was struck by a pickup truck while trying to cross a highway between intersections. Surrey R-C-M-P say the victim was hit by a westbound Ford pickup on Highway 17 in the Whalley area at about 4 p-m yesterday.

Surrey pedestrian dies after being struck by a pickup truck

Generosity of local businessman, Bobby Pawar, gets Langley Food Bank a bigger space

Generosity of local businessman, Bobby Pawar, gets Langley Food Bank a bigger space
Food bank reps such as Calamunce approached Pawar to buy their building so the Food Bank could expand and meet the needs of many of the less fortunate in our communities. 

Generosity of local businessman, Bobby Pawar, gets Langley Food Bank a bigger space

Youth charged in Surrey stabbing

Youth charged in Surrey stabbing
On August 18th of last year Surrey RCMP responded to an assault in progress at the intersection of 184Street and Fraser Highway and found 45-year-old victim Leroy Billy suffering from stab wounds. Billy was transported to hospital, where he died of his injuries.

Youth charged in Surrey stabbing

Canada must explore links between immigration, housing crunch: Marc Miller

Canada must explore links between immigration, housing crunch: Marc Miller
The housing crisis is a chief topic of conversation at the retreat, which comes as the federal Liberals prepare their agenda for the fall sitting of Parliament. The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. estimates Canada needs about 5.8 million new homes by 2030 to restore housing affordability.

Canada must explore links between immigration, housing crunch: Marc Miller

Air quality advisory lifted for most of Metro Vancouver

Air quality advisory lifted for most of Metro Vancouver
An air quality advisory covering most of the Vancouver area has been lifted. The Metro Vancouver Regional District says a change in weather has reduced the amount of fine particulate matter in the air coming from wildfire smoke in the B-C Interior.

Air quality advisory lifted for most of Metro Vancouver

Structural losses from wildfires in West Kelowna area estimated at fewer than 90

Structural losses from wildfires in West Kelowna area estimated at fewer than 90
Premier David Eby was scheduled to visit the fire-ravaged southern Interior on Tuesday, along with Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma and Forests Minister Bruce Ralston, to get a first-hand look at the devastation caused by the raging wildfires. 

Structural losses from wildfires in West Kelowna area estimated at fewer than 90