Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:49 AM
  • Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Two First Nations sisters are among four people who died in a shooting over the weekend in downtown Winnipeg.

Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday to a home where they found five people wounded. A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and another man and woman died later in hospital. A 55-year-old man remains in hospital in critical condition. 

On Monday, police identified those killed as: Crystal Beardy, 34; her sister Stephanie Beardy, 33; Melelek Lesikel, 29; and Dylan Lavallee, 41.

“Our hearts go out to these families and the community," said Insp. Jennifer McKinnon.

The sisters are from Lake St. Martin First Nation, north of Winnipeg. 

"Lake St. Martin has lost two members of their community … We have reached out to the family and leadership to offer community support," said McKinnon. 

Chief Chris Traverse said he was with Beverley Beardy on Sunday when she found out her daughters were killed. 

Traverse and workers in his community, including Beverley Beardy, were on a staff retreat on the weekend when the mother got the call. The chief drove her to Winnipeg and has been with the family ever since. 

"She's very hurt. She's emotionally hurt right now," Traverse said in an interview. 

"It's just hard on the community as a whole and each member feels the pain that Beverley is feeling."

Traverse has known the family for 14 years. He said this isn't the first time Beverley has had to grieve the loss of a child. Two other daughters have died within the past six years. 

The leader last spoke with Stephanie Beardy on Friday. She was excited to leave Lake St. Martin for a visit in the city with her nephews. 

"No one knows when something like this is going to happen," said Traverse. 

Police have also been in touch with Lesikel's family who lives in Kenya and the United States, as well as Lavallee's family in Winnipeg. 

No arrests have been made and police have yet to determine if there was one shooter or multiple. Police asked anyone in the neighbourhood to check their video surveillance cameras.

Police Chief Danny Smyth said he understands the shooting is "a shock to the community" and may cause concern and fear. 

"We will do everything that we can to discover why this happened and who was involved," he told reporters. 

"This is a dangerous offender in my view, and we must do everything that we can to identify that person."

Smyth added the shootings are likely an isolated event, as police haven't received any other reports of similar violence. 

Much of the street was blocked off by yellow police tape on Sunday afternoon, with officers posted on either side of the taped-off section. As of the next morning, the street was opened except for a small perimeter around the multi-unit house, which was still taped off. 

Marked patrol cars were stationed in front of the home and parked in the back lane on Monday. 

It's still early in the investigation and officers are expected to be at the scene for the better part of this week, said Smyth. 

"It’s not like a television program. It’s not going to be over in an hour," he said. 

Premier Wab Kinew recognized safety is a concern in the city and many may be shaken. 

"When a situation like this happens in our city and in our province, the response has to be with law enforcement," he said Monday at an unrelated event.

"The response has to be with the administration of justice and holding people accountable. And, so we're working with our partners to so just that."

Police say there have been 38 homicides in this city so far this year. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

One person killed in Quesnel

One person killed in Quesnel
R-C-M-P in British Columbia are investigating after one person was killed in a crash involving a semi trailer and a pickup truck. The incident happened yesterday afternoon about 35 kilometres south of Quesnel.  

One person killed in Quesnel

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba
Assistant Commissioner Rob Hill, the commanding officer of Manitoba's RCMP, said Thursday the crash happened at the intersection of highways 1 and 5 near Carberry, about two hours south of Dauphin.

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing
On November 22nd of last year at approximately 12:08 p.m., the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a stabbing outside of Tamanawis Secondary School. Officers located an 18-year old, later identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey, suffering life-threatening injuries. On Wednesday, as a result of advancements in the ongoing investigation, IHIT arrested a 17 year old suspect in relation to the murder of Mr. Sethi.  

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines
A statement on the S-F-U website says pickets were at several locations and it advised students with classes or labs in any of the affected buildings to check with their instructors or teaching assistants about possible disruptions.

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines

Trans-Canada Highway closed, crews respond to crash in western Manitoba

Trans-Canada Highway closed, crews respond to crash in western Manitoba
RCMP have posted on social media that they are on the scene of a very serious collision near the intersection of Highway 1 and Highway 5. The STARS air ambulance service says it has been dispatched to the scene.

Trans-Canada Highway closed, crews respond to crash in western Manitoba

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation says housing starts in Vancouver tumbled 45 per cent in May. The drop covered all types of projects -- from apartments and condos to other kinds of multi-unit developments -- and the trend was reflected in Montreal, where starts were off 35 per cent, and in Toronto, where starts fell 28 per cent.

Drop in housing starts in Vancouver