Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:59 PM
  • Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Mounties in Manitoba say six people from multiple countries were caught last week trying to illegally cross into Canada from the United States.

Police say the group was spotted from the air crossing the border on foot near Emerson on Jan. 14. 

Officers say some were not dressed for the freezing temperatures, and an ambulance was called to ensure their safety. 

The six were from Jordan, Sudan, Chad and Mauritania. 

They were put under arrest and transferred to the Canada Border Services Agency. 

The arrests come amid heightened concerns over illegal border crossings.

Mounties bolstered their presence in the border area with Black Hawk helicopters this week as Donald Trump formally took over as U.S. president.

Trump has called on Canada to stem cross-border traffic in illegal migrants and drugs. He has threatened to impose tariffs to back his demands.

Aerial surveillance is part of Canada's $1.3-billion upgrade to border security and monitoring in response to Trump.

The illegal traffic has been a long-standing concern at the Manitoba border.

In 2017, two Ghanaian border crossers lost their fingers because of frostbite. In 2022, a family of four from India, including two children, was found frozen to death after attempting to cross into the United States from Canada during a January snowstorm. 

MORE National ARTICLES

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash
No one was seriously hurt when four trucks were involved in a crash on Highway 97 near Prince George. Police say it happened yesterday near the Davie East Forest Service Road. 

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry
A Conservative MP who was targeted by Beijing told a federal inquiry Wednesday that Canada has become "a playground" for foreign interference.  Michael Chong, the Tory foreign affairs critic, said the federal government should shed its culture of secrecy and disclose more information about threats to better inform the public. 

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits
The Liberal government will slash the number of internationalstudent visas it processes by another 10 per cent. The government says the new target for 2025 and 2026 will be 437,000 permits. In 2024 the target was 485,000 permits.

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits

Nurse-patient ratios at B.C. hospitals set to expand in fall, says health minister

Nurse-patient ratios at B.C. hospitals set to expand in fall, says health minister
British Columbia Health Minister Adrian Dix says minimum nurse-to-patient ratios meant to improve care and strengthen the health-care system have now been established for most hospital settings. He says the nurse-to-patient ratios have been determined for more hospital settings, including emergency departments, maternity units and operating rooms.

Nurse-patient ratios at B.C. hospitals set to expand in fall, says health minister

Conservatives' non-confidence motion will make no mention of carbon price

Conservatives' non-confidence motion will make no mention of carbon price
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has confirmed he will ask the other opposition parties to bring down the Liberal government next week with a non-confidence motion. A Conservative spokesperson said the motion will simply say the House has no confidence in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his government.

Conservatives' non-confidence motion will make no mention of carbon price

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says
Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says