Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:59 PM
  • Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Mounties in Manitoba say six people from multiple countries were caught last week trying to illegally cross into Canada from the United States.

Police say the group was spotted from the air crossing the border on foot near Emerson on Jan. 14. 

Officers say some were not dressed for the freezing temperatures, and an ambulance was called to ensure their safety. 

The six were from Jordan, Sudan, Chad and Mauritania. 

They were put under arrest and transferred to the Canada Border Services Agency. 

The arrests come amid heightened concerns over illegal border crossings.

Mounties bolstered their presence in the border area with Black Hawk helicopters this week as Donald Trump formally took over as U.S. president.

Trump has called on Canada to stem cross-border traffic in illegal migrants and drugs. He has threatened to impose tariffs to back his demands.

Aerial surveillance is part of Canada's $1.3-billion upgrade to border security and monitoring in response to Trump.

The illegal traffic has been a long-standing concern at the Manitoba border.

In 2017, two Ghanaian border crossers lost their fingers because of frostbite. In 2022, a family of four from India, including two children, was found frozen to death after attempting to cross into the United States from Canada during a January snowstorm. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Robbery at a BC liquor store

Robbery at a BC liquor store
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been taken into custody after robbing a liquor store.  R-C-M-P say officers received two reports about a man who seemed to be carrying a firearm showed up on Weisbrod Road close to the Hart Highway and the second report came in suggesting the man robbed a nearby liquor store. 

Robbery at a BC liquor store

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster
A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has declared a mistrial in the case of Kane Carter, who was accused of murdering a gang member and an innocent teenager who was passing by in his parents' vehicle. The jury came back Tuesday saying it was deadlocked after five days of deliberations in Carter's trial.

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting
B.C.'s police watchdog says an officer from the Vancouver Police Department might face charges in a shooting that killed a man two years ago.  A statement from the Independent Investigations Office says officers from the Vancouver Police Department responded to a call from the Patricia Hotel on May 5, 2022.

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill
R-C-M-P are looking for more information as they investigate the sexual assault of an elderly woman that happened in Cobble Hill in July. Mounties say an unknown man entered the elderly women's home in the area of Carlton Drive and assaulted her.

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill

Witnesses sought in collision

Witnesses sought in collision
Vancouver Police are looking for witnesses following a collision between a cyclist and pedestrian on the afternoon of September 1st. Officers say a 62-year-old was riding a rental bike on Comox Street between Broughton and Nicola just before 1 p.m., when the cyclist collided with a driver who was exiting her parked car. 

Witnesses sought in collision

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks
The British Columbia government says it’s collaborating with the federal government to protect its information systems from cyber attacks. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says in a statement that the new agreement provides the province with access to cyber defence services, which will improve its ability to defend, detect, and respond to cyber threats.

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks