Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:59 PM
  • Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Mounties in Manitoba say six people from multiple countries were caught last week trying to illegally cross into Canada from the United States.

Police say the group was spotted from the air crossing the border on foot near Emerson on Jan. 14. 

Officers say some were not dressed for the freezing temperatures, and an ambulance was called to ensure their safety. 

The six were from Jordan, Sudan, Chad and Mauritania. 

They were put under arrest and transferred to the Canada Border Services Agency. 

The arrests come amid heightened concerns over illegal border crossings.

Mounties bolstered their presence in the border area with Black Hawk helicopters this week as Donald Trump formally took over as U.S. president.

Trump has called on Canada to stem cross-border traffic in illegal migrants and drugs. He has threatened to impose tariffs to back his demands.

Aerial surveillance is part of Canada's $1.3-billion upgrade to border security and monitoring in response to Trump.

The illegal traffic has been a long-standing concern at the Manitoba border.

In 2017, two Ghanaian border crossers lost their fingers because of frostbite. In 2022, a family of four from India, including two children, was found frozen to death after attempting to cross into the United States from Canada during a January snowstorm. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog
A Manitoba RCMP officer has been charged after a woman complained she was assaulted during a domestic call last year. Police were called to a home in The Pas in September after receiving reports of a dispute between two women. 

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire
Ramanath Das said he is aware that the eco-village he and his family are building in Venables Valley, B.C., may no longer exist when they return after being evacuated due to an encroaching wildfire. “We’re ready to go back and everything is as it was with ash all over it, or nothing’s there," said Das, who is the general manager of Vedic Eco Village.

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago
The federal government has reached a $147-million settlement with a First Nation in British Columbia over a dispute about water rights that dates back to the late 1800s. Members of the Esk'etemc First Nation in the Cariboo region began hand digging an irrigation ditch to their reserve with picks and shovels in the 1890s, but the government forced them to stop just a kilometre from their goal to access water for their reserve. 

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M
A fraud victim in Richmond has lost more than 1.5 million dollars. R-C-M-P say the victim reported sending the money after people posing as Chinese police officers falsely told them about a supposed outstanding arrest warrant in Hong Kong.

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Man dies in Surrey stabbing

Man dies in Surrey stabbing
Police say they're investigating a fatal stabbing in Surrey last night. R-C-M-P say officers responded to a complaint of a fight along King George Boulevard and arrived to find a man suffering from stab wounds. 

Man dies in Surrey stabbing

House committee launches investigation into purchase of Canada's new $9M condo in NYC

House committee launches investigation into purchase of Canada's new $9M condo in NYC
A House of Commons committee will look into the Liberal government's recent purchase of a $9-million condo in Manhattan for its consul general to New York.  The government operations and estimates committee unanimously agreed today to hold several meetings next month to investigate the purchase. 

House committee launches investigation into purchase of Canada's new $9M condo in NYC