Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:59 PM
  • Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Mounties in Manitoba say six people from multiple countries were caught last week trying to illegally cross into Canada from the United States.

Police say the group was spotted from the air crossing the border on foot near Emerson on Jan. 14. 

Officers say some were not dressed for the freezing temperatures, and an ambulance was called to ensure their safety. 

The six were from Jordan, Sudan, Chad and Mauritania. 

They were put under arrest and transferred to the Canada Border Services Agency. 

The arrests come amid heightened concerns over illegal border crossings.

Mounties bolstered their presence in the border area with Black Hawk helicopters this week as Donald Trump formally took over as U.S. president.

Trump has called on Canada to stem cross-border traffic in illegal migrants and drugs. He has threatened to impose tariffs to back his demands.

Aerial surveillance is part of Canada's $1.3-billion upgrade to border security and monitoring in response to Trump.

The illegal traffic has been a long-standing concern at the Manitoba border.

In 2017, two Ghanaian border crossers lost their fingers because of frostbite. In 2022, a family of four from India, including two children, was found frozen to death after attempting to cross into the United States from Canada during a January snowstorm. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be "a little more challenging" than last time

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be
Speaking at an event put on by the Halifax Chamber of Commerce, Trudeau said that's because Trump's team is coming in with a much clearer set of ideas of what they want to do right away than after his first election win in 2016.

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be "a little more challenging" than last time

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals
As the Canada Post strike involving more than 55,000 workers neared the end of its 25th day, the postal service warned that a speedy resolution is unlikely. In a statement Monday, Canada Post said the latest proposals from the union widen the gap between the two parties, claiming the union has in some cases increased its demands. 

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year
Premier David Eby says BC Hydro, a Crown utility, has selected the projects following a strong response to its call for new renewable power-generation operations.

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires
The federal government says B.C. saw more than 4,000 wildfires in the two years, with 223 evacuations orders and 431 alerts affecting about 192,000 residents overall.

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets
Anyone wishing to attend the upcoming provincial state memorial service for former premier John Horgan is being asked to reserve free tickets. Horgan's service will be held Sunday at the Q Centre in Colwood, west of Victoria, which has a capacity for about 4,000 people.

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago
Police say two men been have been charged in the death of 38-year-old Surrey resident Kenneth Thomas Howe in August 2021. An update from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says a 38-year-old man has now been charged with second-degree murder, while investigators found evidence indicating a 34-year-old man was involved after the death.

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago