Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

SNC-Lavalin delays jury decision in corruption trial until June 28

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jun, 2019 05:55 PM

    SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. is pushing back its decision on whether to opt for a trial by jury or by judge alone in a corruption case that has tripped up the engineering giant and ensnared it in a political controversy for months.

    "I need more time to make the choice. It has to be decided by several people in the company," defence lawyer Francois Fontaine told the Court of Quebec on Friday.

    "Because it's an important decision," he told reporters after the morning hearing. "It's a big company. It's necessary to take the time to analyze it carefully."

    Last week a Quebec judge ruled there is enough evidence to send SNC-Lavalin to trial over charges of fraud and corruption, prompting a further tumble in the beleaguered firm's share price.

    The company has previously pleaded not guilty to the criminal charges. SNC-Lavalin is due back in court June 28. The Montreal-based firm is accused of paying $47.7 million in bribes to public officials in Libya between 2001 and 2011. SNC-Lavalin, its construction division and a subsidiary also face one charge each of fraud and corruption for allegedly defrauding various Libyan organizations of $129.8 million.

    The court hearing in Montreal on Friday was the latest step in criminal proceedings that began last fall after SNC-Lavalin failed to secure a deferred prosecution agreement, a kind of plea deal that would have seen the firm agree to pay a fine rather than face prosecution.

    Since early February, SNC-Lavalin has been at the centre of a political controversy following accusations from former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould that top government officials pressured her to overrule federal prosecutors and negotiate a deferred prosecution agreement with the company.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Mountie Charged With Assault Causing Bodily Harm, Alleged On-Duty Incident

    B.C. Mountie Charged With Assault Causing Bodily Harm, Alleged On-Duty Incident
    NEW HAZELTON, B.C. — A Mountie in northwestern British Columbia has been charged with assault causing bodily harm.    

    B.C. Mountie Charged With Assault Causing Bodily Harm, Alleged On-Duty Incident

    New App From Telus Health And Babylon Enables Canadians To Visit A Doctor Through Their Smartphone

    More Than 50% Of Canadians Find It Difficult To Quickly Access After-Hours Medical Care Without Going To An Emergency Department

    New App From Telus Health And Babylon Enables Canadians To Visit A Doctor Through Their Smartphone

    Lawyer: Huawei Arrest Raises Political Motivation Concerns

    The lawyer for a senior executive of Chinese tech giant Huawei arrested in Canada said comments by U.S. President Trump suggest the case against her is politically motivated.

    Lawyer: Huawei Arrest Raises Political Motivation Concerns

    Vancouver Teen JEEVAN JOHAL SAEPAN Accused Of Shooting At Vehicle While Driving Faces Six Charges: Police

    Vancouver Teen JEEVAN JOHAL SAEPAN Accused Of Shooting At Vehicle While Driving Faces Six Charges: Police
    RCMP Cpl. Michael McLaughlin says Jeevan Johal Saepan is also accused of shooting at another vehicle in Coquitlam.

    Vancouver Teen JEEVAN JOHAL SAEPAN Accused Of Shooting At Vehicle While Driving Faces Six Charges: Police

    The Latest: Gerald Butts, Wernick Testify At Justice Committee On SNC-Lavalin Affair - Watch HIGHLIGHTS

    The latest developments at the House of Commons justice committee, holding hearings Wednesday on the SNC-Lavalin affair (all times local):

    The Latest: Gerald Butts, Wernick Testify At Justice Committee On SNC-Lavalin Affair - Watch HIGHLIGHTS

    Quebec Mother Found Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder In Daughters' Deaths

    Quebec Mother Found Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder In Daughters' Deaths
    A Quebec jury has found Adele Sorella guilty of second-degree murder in the deaths of her two young daughters, Amanda and Sabrina.  

    Quebec Mother Found Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder In Daughters' Deaths