Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

SNC-Lavalin delays jury decision in corruption trial until June 28

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jun, 2019 05:55 PM

    SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. is pushing back its decision on whether to opt for a trial by jury or by judge alone in a corruption case that has tripped up the engineering giant and ensnared it in a political controversy for months.

    "I need more time to make the choice. It has to be decided by several people in the company," defence lawyer Francois Fontaine told the Court of Quebec on Friday.

    "Because it's an important decision," he told reporters after the morning hearing. "It's a big company. It's necessary to take the time to analyze it carefully."

    Last week a Quebec judge ruled there is enough evidence to send SNC-Lavalin to trial over charges of fraud and corruption, prompting a further tumble in the beleaguered firm's share price.

    The company has previously pleaded not guilty to the criminal charges. SNC-Lavalin is due back in court June 28. The Montreal-based firm is accused of paying $47.7 million in bribes to public officials in Libya between 2001 and 2011. SNC-Lavalin, its construction division and a subsidiary also face one charge each of fraud and corruption for allegedly defrauding various Libyan organizations of $129.8 million.

    The court hearing in Montreal on Friday was the latest step in criminal proceedings that began last fall after SNC-Lavalin failed to secure a deferred prosecution agreement, a kind of plea deal that would have seen the firm agree to pay a fine rather than face prosecution.

    Since early February, SNC-Lavalin has been at the centre of a political controversy following accusations from former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould that top government officials pressured her to overrule federal prosecutors and negotiate a deferred prosecution agreement with the company.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    British Columbia School Board Votes To Provide Students Free Tampons, Pads

    NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. — A British Columbia school board believes it is one of the first in the country to provide free feminine hygiene products in washrooms.

    British Columbia School Board Votes To Provide Students Free Tampons, Pads

    Air Canada Suspends Flights To India As Tensions Rise With Pakistan

    Air Canada says it has suspended service to India as tensions mount between that country and Pakistan.

    Air Canada Suspends Flights To India As Tensions Rise With Pakistan

    Canadian Forces Reports Mixed Results In Four-Year War On Sexual Misconduct

    Canadian Forces Reports Mixed Results In Four-Year War On Sexual Misconduct
    A new Canadian Forces report says its nearly four-year war on sexual misconduct in the ranks has had mixed results.

    Canadian Forces Reports Mixed Results In Four-Year War On Sexual Misconduct

    Vancouver Gang Crackdown: Police Announce More Arrests, Two Ottawa Residents Among Four More Men Charged

    Twenty-two-year-old Moeen Khan of Surrey, 30-year-old Pashminder Boparai of Abbotsford, 28-year-old Mustapha Ali of Ottawa, and 23-year-old Nobin Malonga-Massamba of Ottawa, have been charged with conspiracy to commit murder. 

    Vancouver Gang Crackdown: Police Announce More Arrests, Two Ottawa Residents Among Four More Men Charged

    Methane-Snacking Crabs Suggest They Are Adapting To Climate Change: Report

    Crabs that have a normal diet of a type of plankton have been seen munching on methane-filled bacteria off British Columbia's coast 

    Methane-Snacking Crabs Suggest They Are Adapting To Climate Change: Report

    More Help On The Way For Family That Lost Seven Children To House Fire: MP

    Offers of support and donations continue to pour in for Kawthar and Ebraheim Barho, Liberal MP Andy Fillmore said in an interview Tuesday.

    More Help On The Way For Family That Lost Seven Children To House Fire: MP