Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

SNC-Lavalin delays jury decision in corruption trial until June 28

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jun, 2019 05:55 PM

    SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. is pushing back its decision on whether to opt for a trial by jury or by judge alone in a corruption case that has tripped up the engineering giant and ensnared it in a political controversy for months.

    "I need more time to make the choice. It has to be decided by several people in the company," defence lawyer Francois Fontaine told the Court of Quebec on Friday.

    "Because it's an important decision," he told reporters after the morning hearing. "It's a big company. It's necessary to take the time to analyze it carefully."

    Last week a Quebec judge ruled there is enough evidence to send SNC-Lavalin to trial over charges of fraud and corruption, prompting a further tumble in the beleaguered firm's share price.

    The company has previously pleaded not guilty to the criminal charges. SNC-Lavalin is due back in court June 28. The Montreal-based firm is accused of paying $47.7 million in bribes to public officials in Libya between 2001 and 2011. SNC-Lavalin, its construction division and a subsidiary also face one charge each of fraud and corruption for allegedly defrauding various Libyan organizations of $129.8 million.

    The court hearing in Montreal on Friday was the latest step in criminal proceedings that began last fall after SNC-Lavalin failed to secure a deferred prosecution agreement, a kind of plea deal that would have seen the firm agree to pay a fine rather than face prosecution.

    Since early February, SNC-Lavalin has been at the centre of a political controversy following accusations from former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould that top government officials pressured her to overrule federal prosecutors and negotiate a deferred prosecution agreement with the company.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Officials Say Person With Measles Flew From Vancouver To Edmonton To NWT

    Officials Say Person With Measles Flew From Vancouver To Edmonton To NWT
    Two new cases of measles were reported in British Columbia on Sunday, with one of them prompting officials in Alberta and the Northwest Territories to warn the person may have exposed others to the infection as they travelled.

    Officials Say Person With Measles Flew From Vancouver To Edmonton To NWT

    Six Arrested In Maple Ridge, B.C., During Fire Safety Enforcement At Tent Camp

    Six Arrested In Maple Ridge, B.C., During Fire Safety Enforcement At Tent Camp
    MAPLE RIDGE, B.C. — Six people have been arrested in Maple Ridge, B.C., as officials in that Metro Vancouver suburb enforce an injunction covering fire safety issues at a homeless camp.

    Six Arrested In Maple Ridge, B.C., During Fire Safety Enforcement At Tent Camp

    Relatives Arriving In N.S. To Support Mother And Father Of Seven Fire Victims

    HALIFAX — Several family members of the mother of seven children who died in a fast-moving house fire are arriving in Halifax today to bring support to their grieving relative.

    Relatives Arriving In N.S. To Support Mother And Father Of Seven Fire Victims

    Jody Wilson-Raybould Can Speak About SNC-Lavalin Affair At Committee: Trudeau

    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould will be permitted to speak publicly about some of the details of the SNC-Lavalin affair.    

    Jody Wilson-Raybould Can Speak About SNC-Lavalin Affair At Committee: Trudeau

    First-Of-Its-Kind Registry In B.C. Targets Under-The-Radar Condo Flippers

     The British Columbia government says it has launched Canada's first registry aimed at cracking down on pre-sale property flipping and tax evasion in B.C.'s real estate market.

    First-Of-Its-Kind Registry In B.C. Targets Under-The-Radar Condo Flippers

    B.C. Mines Minister Says Mount Polley Disaster Behind Safety Upgrades

    B.C. Mines Minister Says Mount Polley Disaster Behind Safety Upgrades
    British Columbia's mines minister says the Mount Polley tailings pond collapse is behind changes to increase safety and regulation enforcement in provincial mining operations.

    B.C. Mines Minister Says Mount Polley Disaster Behind Safety Upgrades