Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Special forces troops involved in two more firefights with ISIL fighters

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jan, 2015 10:35 AM

    OTTAWA — Canadian special forces troops have been involved in more firefights with Islamic State extremists.

    Navy Capt. Paul Forget says the elite troops, who were advising Kurdish fighters in battlefield planning, came under fire twice while visiting the front over the last week.

    He says in both cases the Canadian troops returned fire and "neutralized" the threats.

    The gun battles are in addition to an incident outlined last week by the commander of special forces, Brig.-Gen. Michael Rouleau.

    As well, Forget says CF-18 jetfighters have conducted 12 more air strikes supporting Iraqi forces who are preparing to liberate Mosul, the country's second largest city.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    5 people in hospital after crash between car, horse-drawn sleigh in Nova Scotia

    5 people in hospital after crash between car, horse-drawn sleigh in Nova Scotia
    WILMOT, N.S. — Five people are in hospital after a collision between a horse-drawn sleigh and a car in western Nova Scotia.

    5 people in hospital after crash between car, horse-drawn sleigh in Nova Scotia

    Dozens take icy plunge into Nova Scotia waters in annual polar bear dip

    Dozens take icy plunge into Nova Scotia waters in annual polar bear dip
    HALIFAX — People donned tutus and neon Speedos as they plunged into the icy waters of the Atlantic Ocean today for an annual polar bear dip in Nova Scotia.

    Dozens take icy plunge into Nova Scotia waters in annual polar bear dip

    Imam wants radical recruiters of Muslim youth in Canada identified and dealt with

    Imam wants radical recruiters of Muslim youth in Canada identified and dealt with
    CALGARY — Reaching out to talk with Muslim youth who are at risk of being radicalized isn't enough to stop it from happening, say parents, clerics and police.

    Imam wants radical recruiters of Muslim youth in Canada identified and dealt with

    Second-degree murder charge in Kamloops after city's only homicide of 2014

    Second-degree murder charge in Kamloops after city's only homicide of 2014
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — A 41-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in Kamloops, B.C., after the city's only homicide of the year.

    Second-degree murder charge in Kamloops after city's only homicide of 2014

    Gun used in Edmonton mass murders was stolen in Surrey, B.C., in 2006

    Gun used in Edmonton mass murders was stolen in Surrey, B.C., in 2006
    VANCOUVER — Investigators say a gun used in a mass murder in Alberta was stolen in B.C.

    Gun used in Edmonton mass murders was stolen in Surrey, B.C., in 2006

    BC Coroners Service confirms identity of man shot by transit police in Surrey

    BC Coroners Service confirms identity of man shot by transit police in Surrey
    VANCOUVER — The BC Coroners Service has confirmed the identity of a man shot by transit police in Surrey, B.C.

    BC Coroners Service confirms identity of man shot by transit police in Surrey