Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

StatCan looks to improve the way it tracks wireless plan pricing with new data

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 10:05 AM
  • StatCan looks to improve the way it tracks wireless plan pricing with new data

Statistics Canada has changed the way it tracks the price of wireless plans in an effort to capture a more accurate picture of what Canadians are paying when it calculates the inflation rate.

The agency has been using web-collected data on the advertised cost of plans based on a set of profiles designed to reflect how households use their devices.

However, Statistics Canada has now started using actual sales data from participating wireless companies to help build a picture of the changing cost of wireless plans.

Matt Hatfield, executive director of OpenMedia, an advocacy organization that promotes internet affordability and accessibility, says the inclusion of the actual sales data is important because many people may be stuck in a contract or simply not realize they could get a better price by changing their plan. 

“What StatCan is trying to do is to reflect not just what prices are available in a new plan advertised today, but also what consumers are paying in the prices they're actually using, which I think is a positive move," Hatfield said. 

“It will help show what the actual situation is vis-a-vis telecoms and Canadians.” 

Wireless pricing has become a political issue in recent years.

Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said last year that Canadians "pay way too much for telecom services" when he gave final approval for Rogers Communications Inc.’s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

The transaction saw a side-deal in which Shaw's Freedom Mobile business was sold to Quebecor Inc.'s Videotron, which many are hoping will be a strong competitor to the larger wireless companies.

The industry has pointed to falling prices for wireless plans in recent years, but critics have argued that despite many of those new plans allowing customers to pay less per gigabyte of data, some require customers to purchase large amounts they may not necessarily need.

"If the (price) data ends up being well supported and widely trusted, I think it might improve the quality of the political discussion around it because people have just been talking past each other," Hatfield said. 

The price for cellular services in August was down 12.8 per cent compared with a year earlier, based on Statistics Canada's report Tuesday.

However, the agency has said caution should be used when interpreting the year-over-year move for the first 12 months following the change.

"In the first round, the data is going to be very incomparable to past years of data," Hatfield said.

The cellular services price index is part of the household operations, furnishings and equipment index. It represents 1.22 per cent of the CPI basket based on 2023 expenditures.

MORE National ARTICLES

Cyberactivity targeting elections on rise, says report from Canada's e-spy service

Cyberactivity targeting elections on rise, says report from Canada's e-spy service
A new federal report says cyberthreat activity targeting elections is increasing worldwide, and is now more likely to be seen in Canada's next federal ballot. The report by the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security found that in 2022 slightly over one-quarter of all national elections globally had at least one reported cyberincident.

Cyberactivity targeting elections on rise, says report from Canada's e-spy service

Oil and gas emissions cap coming Thursday, targets 2026 start date

Oil and gas emissions cap coming Thursday, targets 2026 start date
The long-promised cap on greenhouse gas emissions for Canada's oil and gas sector will begin as early as 2026 and use a cap-and-trade system that applies by facility, a federal government source said Wednesday. The outline for the policy that the government is set to publish Thursday will show that industry will not be asked to cut emissions as deeply as planned under last year's emissions reduction report, said the source.

Oil and gas emissions cap coming Thursday, targets 2026 start date

Number of Canadians with disabilities doubles in 10 years, hits 8 million: StatCan

Number of Canadians with disabilities doubles in 10 years, hits 8 million: StatCan
The number of Canadians with at least one disability has doubled in 10 years, a reality that should push governments to help reduce barriers to accessibility, says the head of a human rights organization. Statistics Canada data shows that 27 per cent of people 15 and older — about eight million Canadians — reported having at least one disability in 2022, about twice the percentage of people who reported a disability 10 years ago.

Number of Canadians with disabilities doubles in 10 years, hits 8 million: StatCan

Political shift underway in B.C., says confident Conservative Leader John Rustad

Political shift underway in B.C., says confident Conservative Leader John Rustad
B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad says Premier David Eby and Opposition BC United Leader Kevin Falcon are both looking over their shoulders at the political gains being made by the new kid on the block. Rustad says the presence of his two-member Conservative caucus has stirred debate and changed dialogue at the legislature and the party appears to be gaining momentum with voters as British Columbia's scheduled fall election approaches.  

Political shift underway in B.C., says confident Conservative Leader John Rustad

BC chief coroner Lisa Lapointe retiring

BC chief coroner Lisa Lapointe retiring
The B.C. Coroners Service had been "forever altered" by the public health emergency that continued to take the lives of people of all ages across the province, including more than 2,000 deaths so far this year, Lapointe said in a statement Wednesday. B.C. declared a drug overdose public health emergency in April 2016. Latest numbers show the loss of 13,317 lives, at a current rate of more than six people a day.

BC chief coroner Lisa Lapointe retiring

Burnaby business targeted twice in 24 hrs

Burnaby business targeted twice in 24 hrs
Police in Burnaby say they have recovered about half-a-million-dollars in stolen surveying equipment after a business was targeted by thieves twice in 24 hours. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the first break-in happened at 6 a-m on November 13th at the business, located near Still Creek Avenue and Douglas Road.  

Burnaby business targeted twice in 24 hrs